Jessica Hernandez and the Deltas are calling

Jessica Hernandez and The Deltas are, in a word, epic. They stole the stage on Wednesday night. The openers at the State Room, The Utah County Swillers, were a little less than fabulous. However, the minute Hernandez stepped onstage in an orange dress with her black sneakers the crowd went wild.

Hernandez is quite the performer. She jammed out to every song, sometimes playing guitar or a can while singing for the entire set. It was obvious she loves the music and loves performing. Funny enough she talks about how “sometimes the first time is the only time [she] really get[s] to listen to [her] song[s].”

Her music is a mix of Spanish and English reflecting her Latin heritage. She was raised above a bakery where her family makes cakes. She even met her husband there when she booked his band The Growlers. The couple has been married a year now and their engagement was the inspiration for her new album “Telephone/TelĂ©fono.” With both of them on the road on different tours, Hernandez felt her relationship “was being lived through the telephone.” An experience she loved and hated. You can hear for yourself when the album is released on June 23.

Hernandez mentioned Wednesday that she is turning 30 soon. Music has been her life for a while now but it wasn’t an easy choice when she first decided to pursue it. She talks about getting cold feet and even says she “felt silly trying to be a musician.” However, the world wanted to hear her and she was offered bigger shows while she was still trying to round out a fuller sound. Eventually, she found people who wanted to be on the road. She also found her sound when she embraced the Latin music she grew up with. She talks about taking Latin music for granted and preferring rock when she was younger. Now her sound is a blend of both and even has a trombone in the mix.

Hernandez’s path certainly worked out for her. She is a vibrant artist with a lot to offer and a sweet demeanor. She thanked her audience after every song on Wednesday night. And for those up and coming singer-songwriters, she has one piece of advice “It doesn’t matter what kind of art you’re creating, you’re creating it. Stick to what you know is right.”