Utah Volleyball To Play Six Matches on European Tour

Kiffer Creveling
Utah Volleyball Head Coach, Beth Launiere, talks to the women’s Volleyball team during a timeout at the Huntsman Events Center; The Utah Utes beat the Colorado Buffs 3-1 on Wednesday, Sept. 23, 2015

This past Saturday, the University of Utah volleyball team packed its bags for a 12-day European Tour to compete in matches against both professional clubs and national teams. A total of six matches will be played, and the team’s first game was on Monday May 29 in Prague. Match two is set for Tuesday. Two more will be played in Maribor before the Utes finish the trip with two matches in Rome. Along the way, the Utes will make stops in the Czech Republic, Austria, Slovenia and Italy before returning home on Thursday, June 8.

“We are very excited for this tour from both an educational and competitive standpoint,” said head coach Beth Launiere in a press release. “The value of this trip cannot be measured, because it is an experience of a lifetime. The opportunity to tour some of the greatest cities in Europe, along with the opportunity to play the sport we love against some very good teams, is what makes this trip special. Traveling with teammates and coaches will create a lot of lasting memories.”

The players’ families will also be joining the team on their journey, making the trip that much more special to the players.

“I’m really looking forward to spending time with my friends and family,” said senior hitter Adora Anae. “It’s a great opportunity to be able to travel with my team as well as family, the coaching staff and even some of the trainers. I’m looking forward to the sight-seeing as well as being able to compete at a higher level to be able to gain more experience.”

This will not be the first time that Anae will be competing outside of the United States. Anae was a member of the Pac-12 Conference All-Star volleyball team last summer, and she had the opportunity to travel and compete in China. She was also a part of the 2015 USA Junior National Team where she had the opportunity to compete in Europe.

With the experience the Hawaiian native has under her belt, she has learned that it is important to have fun on these adventures while learning along the way, something she wants her team to realize as well. As a member of several teams that have traveled out of the states, Anae sees the positives in what this trip could do for her team.

“This trip gives us a huge advantage going into the 2017 season,” Anae said. “Other teams are home for the summer. We get the opportunity to get extra reps at a higher level.  It’s almost like we get a head-start compared to the other teams in the Pac-12.”

Launiere knows the teams they are scheduled to face will be a test, but she believes this tour will help her team for many reasons, not just now, but also for what lies ahead.

“These matches will be challenging and they will provide a great opportunity to learn about our team this summer,” Launiere said in a press release. “The level of competition should make us better. We will be playing with a different type of volleyball, but matching up against these types of teams will provide us some great feedback for where we are heading into the 2017 season.”

@scottfunk0