Heartless Breakers a rock band revamping their sound

Heartless Breakers are a rock band that many people can get behind. They have meaningful lyrics, an almost traditional sound and an alternative edge that adds a contradictory softness to their hard aesthetic.

Reminiscent of The Maine and All Time Low, this three-man, local band came together in Salt Lake City in 2013. As an indie band, they have created four albums, starting with their debut — the “Prescriptions” EP in 2013 — and ending with their most recent single, “Procrastinate.” After stripping down and developing the emotion in Acoustic Sessions, an EP featuring songs “An Aching Kind of Growing” and “Right Mistakes,” with themes and ideas similar to those from the punk or alternative genres, Heartless Breakers are revamping their style.

The Heartless Breakers are taking common rock imagery and themes and modernizing them with crooning vocals broken up by expressive shouts, an upbeat yet heavy tempo and impressive guitar riffs. Although they begin “Procrastinate” with the lyrics “Sorry for the delay, but I’ve been dusting off my grave,” they take the track in a different direction. Exploring the somewhat lighter side of rock, turning to love and loss, not a traditional loss of love song, the Heartless Breakers delve into the indecision and procrastination involved in the end of a relationship. The track easily follows a punk-rock aesthetic with a fun instrumental track behind dark or sad lyrics, making listening enjoyable but also leaving its meaning with their audience.

“Procrastinate” is the first track released by the Heartless Breakers since last year, and through Mountain Music they are continuing to make music that many people can easily relate to. Their traditional sound and punk lyrics will appeal to multiple genres and are a refreshing respite from mainstream pop and current radio favorites.

Their new single and all of their previous albums can be found on iTunes.