Victor: The False Narrative of the LDS Church as represented in the 2017 Love Loud Festival

On Aug. 2, the Love Loud music festival was held in Orem, Utah. The brainchild of Dan Reynolds, singer of the Grammy award-winning band Imagine Dragons, this festival was intended to raise funds for several organizations that support at-risk LGBTQ+ youth. In conjunction with groups such as GLAAD, the Trevor Project, Encircle and Stand4kind, this all-day concert included a range of groups including Imagine Dragons, Neon Trees, a solo performance from the singer of Walk the Moon, Nicholas Petricca, and the electro-dance duo Krewella, among others.

Many speakers made appearances over the course of the day, and that was where the trouble started. While there was a wonderful speech given by Dancing with the Stars alumna Julianne Hough, many of the speakers were representatives of the LDS community of Utah. Steve Young, Mormon football Hall of Famer spoke with his wife Barba about LGBTQ+ inclusiveness in Mormon spaces. The master of ceremonies for the evening was Alex Boye, an incredible personality and musician, but regrettably a favorite LDS poster child. A MTE group from BYU performed an art piece that featured dialogue from actual calls to the Trevor Project. Many were calls from LGBTQ+ youth literally moments away from suicide. It felt so wrong for these intimate words to be said by a BYU group, and I will explain why.

The LDS church, and the Mormon culture at large, is systematically and institutionally against the LGBTQ+ community. The LDS church, and their representatives at the music festival, loves to say that it supports all children, no matter their orientation. But this diverges from both actual church policy and the shared experiences of members of the LGBTQ+ community.

Speaking about homosexual couples, the LDS church’s policy reads, “Sexual relations between a man and woman who are not married, or between people of the same sex, violate one of our Father in Heaven’s most important laws and get in the way of our eternal progress.” If you are openly in a homosexual relationship, you are considered to be “living in sin.” These individuals cannot hold church callings, take the LDS sacrament, or attend LDS temple ceremonies, which includes the ability to get married or sealed to family and children, a paramount part of the LDS experience. The church’s policy on transgender individuals is similar; someone who medically transitions is not only barred from participating in Mormon ordinances but may face termination of membership.

From these policies grows an insidious culture in the LDS community where homosexuality and transgenderism are seen as sinful and dirty. They are viewed as something that is to be hidden or treated, like you would a disease. The harm that this causes to individuals is immeasurable, but hopefully a few experiences from the LGBTQ+ community will communicate some of the damage it causes.

Last year, at the age of 19, I came out as transgender to my family. In the following month, I was kicked out of the house and totally ostracized both emotionally and financially from my parents. I was uninvited from the yearly family vacation, had my car taken away, and left completely on my own. On top of this, I was repeatedly and forcefully told how wrong and perverse my decision was. Without going into too much detail, this was all devastating, and led to moments of deep depression and anxiety. Fortunately, I am both financially stable and have a group of people who love and support me outside of my assigned family.

But many youths are not so lucky. I have a friend who just last month came out as transgender to his family, and his treatment was similar to mine. Devastatingly, my friend is 17, and spent three days in a homeless shelter until he finally found refuge at his aunt’s house, however grudgingly she offered it. He is now trying to figure out how to move forward as a minor completely isolated and cut off.

According to the Trevor Project website, LGBTQ+ youth (those between 10 and 24 years of age) are 4 times more a greater risk of attempting suicide. LGBTQ+ youth who are from “highly rejecting families” are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGBTQ+ peers who report low levels of family rejection. Please read those numbers again, and think on all those youths forced to such a place where they feel the only option is to take their own life.

The LDS church, by its policies and its culture propagates this epidemic of depression, self-harm and suicide among the youths of this state and this country. I do understand the intent of the choice of speakers at the Love Loud festival; to foster communication and trust between these two communities. But what must not be stood for is the LDS church’s attempt to pretend that they are blameless, and that they support members of our community. This is false and deeply insulting to the memories of the dead LGBTQ+ youth across the country.

During the festival no mention was made of this, and the Church was painted in a very positive and accepting light. If we cannot be honest about the impact of the LDS church on our youth we will never be able to change church policy and culture. Thousands will continue to harm themselves and die until we can call the LDS church what it is, and work towards a future of true acceptance and love.

University of Utah LGBT+ resource center – 200 S Central Campus Dr. room 408 / 801-587-7973

The Trevor Project’s Trevor Lifeline – 1-866-488-7386  (free, confidential, and available 24/7)

Utah Suicide Prevention lifeline – 1-800-273-8255 available 24 hours a day

• L

Luke HalesNov 13, 2018 at 9:24 am

Either homosexuality (and any sexual expression outside of heterosexual marriage) is a sin or is not. That is what it boils down to. If you believe the former, like myself, then we are bound by our love for all to communicate that fact rather than cave to social pressure to go along with the social trend of extending boundaries of what is socially acceptable. A true friend doesn’t go along with another friend’s bad decisions, but warns of the consequence.

Even if everyone was accepting of these alternative lifestyles it would not eliminate the higher risk of depression, suicide, STD’s, etc among these groups. No one can escape the consequences of sin….except through repentance and faith in the only one who saves from sin: Jesus Christ. It is futile to try to reform the Church rather than reform their own lives. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will never change its position on this issue…you can take that to the bank.

• N

Not John SJul 30, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Lol John S did real research. Oh wait a simple google search would tell him that black have been in the congregation since the beginning of the religion. In fact its founder, Joseph Smith, campaigned for president as an abolitionist. Also if you refer to blacks receiving the priesthood. You’re still wrong. Happened before you were born. Ignorance at its finest. Stay in college.

• H

HeatherMay 26, 2018 at 7:58 pm

The fact of the matter is PEOPLE are not perfect. Christ is the only one who has been thus far. The Trevor Project was also started by an active LDS man whose younger brother was NOT LGBTQ, yet committed suicide for not feeling he belonged ANYWHERE. Therefore it makes complete sense that those of the LDS faith would speak and participate in the festival.

• J

Jane RogersFeb 6, 2018 at 11:18 pm

Interesting. Aunt Jane.

• R

reneSep 6, 2017 at 9:56 am

It appears to me from this article only Mormons commit suicide , not Catholics , Jews, Baptists etc., etc. I am always amazed that lgbt and gays cannot own there own sexuality and it become s incumbent upon society to accept them . The truth of the matter may be your belief system has left you so insecure that you must find a scapegoat.

• M

mark cottleSep 4, 2017 at 3:53 pm

What a sad person you must be, only those who are deemed worthy to help can help, sad. What happened to the concept on the rainbow, inclusive not exclusive, can’t walk the walk. Every institution in the U.S. has a history similar to the LDS Church, the courts, the federal government, all major papers, all States, everyone, but your sad refusal to allow the LDS community to move forward only hurts the LGBT community.

• A

Addison ShuppySep 4, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I understand why there are deep emotional undertones to this article due to a familial dispute, and I extend my sympathy towards the author for the awful experience they must have had. However, the LDS church’s efforts to bridge gaps and create peace should not be ignored on this basis. Such events ought to be encouraged, rather than scrutinized as if this organization is mischievously trying to hide what they believe. What they believe is actually very clear and easy to find (i.e. The Family: A Proclamation to the World), and people are free to disagree if they so choose. The important thing to remember is that people can have different opinions on right and wrong without hate being a part of it. I’m sure there are people on both sides, just as there are on virtually every side of anything you can think of, who have a hard time handling differences. But please remember to always assume that people are good and to encourage peace, rather than intolerance and hate. There is enough of that as it is without people spreading it.

• A

Ashlee KlarkSep 4, 2017 at 10:00 am

Taylor, I am so sorry for the behavior of your family. It is unfortunate that they have not chosen to have unconditional love for you. Even though they have turned their backs on you, I know that Jesus Christ has such a great and abiding love for you and for everyone. We all need to just love each other, try to do good and serve each other. I truly wish you well in all that you do and that you can find happiness.

• M

MarkSep 4, 2017 at 8:54 am

Suicide among Gays have been happening in many Cultures throughout History. Stop blaming #LdsChurch for gay suicides. I almost committed suicide, then I said, life is worth living. #JesusSaves

• J

John SSep 6, 2017 at 12:04 pm

it’s not blaming it exclusively, but the LDS church is incredibly intolerant and prejudiced towards people who do not share the same hetero-normative life that most in the church do. This is the same church that did not allow blacks into its congregation until the last 10? 15 years? how open-minded of them to get over jim crow finally in the 21st century.

• A

Anthony JarvisSep 4, 2017 at 4:58 am

Wow What a depressing read… Full OF misinformation and emotion

• J

John SSep 6, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Or full of first-hand insight and truth? because as they say, the truth hurts… Anthony you accuse of “mininformation” but make no mention of what is not accurate. what is it then? what’s wrong with this information? do you not realize how many people this “church” has oppressed and shunned? do you not know how many families have been instructed to disassociate with their children/loved ones because they happen to be gay/lesbian/trans/etc? Please give us the insight we are missing.

• T

ToddSep 3, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Hi Taylor,

I am the Young Men’s President in Cottonwood Heights. I teach the boys 12-18 yrs old and will be teaching about the festival and the true relationship beteeen LGBTQ and LDS members. I’d love to talk to you more, before I teach my lesson. Please let me know if we can get together. I’m at [email protected]