Patience: There Aren’t “Many Sides” When it Comes to White Supremacy

NYC action in solidarity with Ferguson. Mo, encouraging a boycott of Black Friday Consumerism.

I know it’s hard to believe, but “Donald McRonald” has struck again, putting his enormous clown feet back into his mouth. During the KKK and Neo-Nazi gatherings in Charlottesville, Donald Trump addressed it by saying that there was violence on “many sides,” as if the issue of racism is like a Dungeons and Dragons die. In reality, there are only two sides to the issue.

One side contains peaceful protestors who express their beliefs by putting their fists up during the National Anthem, attending Black Lives Matter rallies, standing on native indigenous sites to prevent them from being used for fracking and calling out people in power who will do whatever it takes to stay in power even at the expense of morality.

Then there’s the other side — the side that excuses racism and sexism under free speech, that will rally over the death of a white woman, but will defend the murders of countless black people. It’s the side that will openly wear symbols of enemies we have fought, will hit innocent, peaceful protestors with cars and banish the children of immigrants who have only known America as their homes, later claiming that racism no longer exists in this country.

“White supremacy” is exactly what it sounds like. It’s the idea that people of the white race are superior to people of color purely because of skin color. White supremacy is the reason feminism has a bad reputation —feminism was originally thought to only apply to white females when competing with black males for the right to vote. It’s the reason slavery existed for so long, the reason refugees are being turned away, the reason we had the Mexican War, the Civil War, and World War II, and it’s the reason I will, from now on, always be suspicious of police officers. There is no excuse for white supremacists to still exist, especially in America.

There is absolutely no evidence to support the idea that white people are the superior race. It’s a simple, yet powerful, social construct. The Mayans had a better understanding of the universe before we did. Most Native American tribes had a better understanding of gender as not pertaining purely to biology. We stole, raped and killed those with differing skin colors with no regard for decency. White people were trying to conquer and educate “savages,” when in fact, they were the most savage of them all.

Now, I’m aware that the Neo-Nazis and the KKK represent a small fraction of modern Americans, and many may think the solution is to simply ignore them. And maybe we could ignore them if they weren’t putting people in real danger, trying to intimidate anyone with an opposing point of view. And maybe we could take a step in the right direction if President Trump would commit to condemning such heinous behavior. The first step to solving a problem is admitting there is one. Donald Trump lost his opportunity to speak out against white supremacists.

Right now the best we can do is come together to disallow racism and hatred to be tolerated on our soil.