Events Calendar Sept. 12

Adam Fondren
The 999 ride in Salt Lake City, UT on Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017. The ride happens every Thursday at 9 PM and meets at 9th south and 9th east. (Photo by Adam Fondren | Daily Utah Chronicle)

Bike to Movie Night

The Environmental & Sustainability Studies leadership committee presents Bike to Movie Night, featuring the movie “Jumbo Wild” on Sept. 13 from 7-10 p.m. at The Pioneer Garden (located east of the Pioneer Theatre on campus). “Jumbo Wild” is a movie about the battle between protecting British Columbia’s wilderness and the backcountry experience in the Jumbo Valley. Come hang out with other bikers and enjoy light refreshments and a free bike valet. Light bike repairs will be provided by U Bike Shop mechanics (just in case) so you and your wheels are good to go after the show. Guests are welcome to bring a blanket and a small chair for comfort to enjoy the movie.

Open Sky

The Open Sky Taft-Nicholson Painting Residency Exhibition takes place from Sept. 6 – 22 from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the Alvin Gittins Gallery in the Art Building at the University of Utah. Opening night is on Sept. 5 at 6 p.m. and is free to attend. This exhibit features the finished works of 12 students who completed a painting residency under the guidance of professor Kim Martinez at the Taft-Nicholson Center in Centennial Valley, Montana. This painting residency combines art practices with environmental studies, providing a unique and special experience for students. More information about these students’ experience is available on Instagram under the hashtag #uofuopenskypainters.

Science Cafe

Come and enjoy a fun and educational event at the Natural History Museum of Utah on Wednesday, Sept. 13 from 6 – 7:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be provided as you enjoy a buffet of science that will feature current scientific research by five scientists in a unique cafe-style setting. Each of these scientists will reveal their research in 10 minutes and then follow up with a short group discussion. The five scientists featured for September include: Elizabeth Looby (climatologist), Rosalie Waller (bioinformatic expert), Kathleen Bennett (behavioral geneticist), Janet Iwasa (molecular animator) and Deeptha Vasudevan (developmental neurobiologist).

Exhibitions

Malade

Now through Sept. 15

Eccles Health Sciences Library

Vikings: Beyond the Legend

Now through Jan. 1

Natural History Museum of Utah

Classes 

T’ai Chi/Qigong

Sept. 12 and 14, 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.

Huntsman Cancer Hospital multipurpose room 6

Art 158 Lecture Series: Yan Xing

Sept. 13, 4:30 – 6 p.m.

Art 158

Concerts 

Navy Band Northwest

Sept. 12, 4:30 – 6 p.m.

Duke Recital Hall

Kaki King

Sept. 14, 7:30 – 9.30 p.m.

Kingsbury Hall

Arts Entrepreneur: Free Headshot

Sept. 15, 5 – 6 p.m.

Lassonde Studios

Steel Pier

Sept. 15, 7:30 p.m.

Marriott Ccenter for Ddance