Journalist Who Broke Watergate to Speak at the U

Students will have the opportunity to chat with Bob Woodward, the man who broke Watergate, one of the biggest scandals America has ever known, Nov. 16 at 7:30 p.m. at Kingsbury Hall. Woodward is regarded as one of the most influential journalists in history, has won a Pulitzer prize and is the author of 18 number one bestselling books.

“He is one of those journalists that proved the importance of the investigation, the importance of sunlight in politics, of transparency,” Jason Perry, Director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics. “We felt like, we’re at a time when students need to feel like they know who [Woodward] is and not forget that part of history.”

Every few of years, the Hinckley Institute of Politics invites a guest speaker to participate in the Sam Rich Lecture Series. The funds set aside for the lectures are to bring in an influential speaker that can speak on topics relevant to the current political atmosphere.

“This year, obviously, it’s such an interesting political climate,” said Matthew Lusty, a spokesman for the Hinckley Institute of Politics. “We thought that it would be important to have a discussion about the role of media and politics. You’ve heard a lot of comments about fake news, we thought ‘well who better to bring in than Bob Woodward who broke the Watergate story, right?’”

The day before the event, to build anticipation, there will be a Pizza and Politics forum. At the forum, experts from the community will join students to talk about the importance of media and the political climate today in comparison to the days of Watergate. That night at the Fort Douglas Post Theater there will be a free showing of “All the President’s Men,” tickets are required.

The conversation style event is expected to sell out Kingsbury Hall, with a capacity of 1,992 people. Tickets go on sale Tuesday running at $10 for the community and half price for students. With a ticket, students can stop by the Hinckley Institute for a free copy of Woodward’s book “All The President’s Men,” supplies are limited.

“We’ll be able to ask questions; he’ll be able to respond. It’s going to be a conversation style dialogue,” described Perry, “so we’ll have the chance to really dig into the things he thinks are important and maybe a little bit about how things are so similar to the way they were when he investigated Watergate.”

Those who attend the conversation-style lecture will gain the insight of Woodward who has been with the Washington Post since 1971 fighting to spread truth to the American people.

CBS News’ Bob Schieffer described Woodward in 2004 as “the best reporter of our time. [Woodward] may be the best reporter of all time.”

Tickets can be purchased online or at the Kingsbury Hall ticket office.

“This is a unique and once in a lifetime opportunity for many of us, to meet a journalist who had an enormous impact on journalism but also on politics,” said Perry. “This is a person that showed in a very clear way just how important journalists are in this world.”

• T

Teresa Sanchez HowesSep 13, 2017 at 9:01 am

Mackenzie, where I can buy the tickets? can I buy it online and enter my student ID or do I need to go in person and where and what time.

• D

Donald AguirreSep 12, 2017 at 10:53 am

This is phenomenal. I’m not missing this.