On the Other Sidelines: 6 Questions with the Spartan Daily

Luke Johnson/Spartan Daily

In preparation for the University of Utah football game against San José State that will take place Saturday, Sept. 16 at Rice-Eccles Stadium, The Daily Utah Chronicle spoke to Luke Johnson, the sports editor of the Spartan Daily, the San Jose State student newspaper, to share his insights on the Spartans.

Q: San José State is coming off a 56-0 loss on the road to Texas. What did the Spartans struggle with in that game? Were there any positive takeaways?

LJ: What didn’t the Spartans struggle with last Saturday? The Longhorns had a Texas-sized win against SJSU. It was the most over matched game I’ve witnessed since I enrolled here.

Through these tough non-conference battles, one player who has persevered is linebacker Frank Ginda. He leads the nation in tackles with 42 and is second in tackles per game with 14.

Another Spartan playing well is punter Michael Carrizosa, who might win the Ray Guy Trophy this year.

Q: The Spartans haven’t won against a current Pac-12 member school since 2006, what do they need to do in order to come away as victors over Utah?

LJ: San José State is known as DBU (Defensive Back University) in the Mountain West for consistently putting defensive backs in the NFL. This season appeared to be no exception with Andre Chachere — a First Team All-MW corner back — and the rest of last year’s starters returning.

However, the Spartans have zero defensive interceptions through three games. They are extremely overdue for turning over possessions — which can optimistically play to their advantage if they make up for what they haven’t done.

Look at how SJSU played against South Florida in the first quarter three weeks ago. The Spartans were leading 16-0 and Heisman Trophy-watchlist quarterback Quinton Flowers couldn’t move the ball.

If SJSU plays like that for one half or three quarters it might have a chance to win this Saturday.

Q: What Spartans do the Utes need to be prepared to face? And why?

LJ: Offensively, I would say sophomore receiver Bailey Gaither. He’s the fastest player on the team and is an excellent deep threat. He also leads the Spartans in scoring with three touchdowns.

Q: Over the course of three games, San José State has used three quarterbacks. Do you think not having a consistent quarterback to start the season will affect their play against the Utes?  

LJ: Redshirt freshman Montel Aaron Jr. is SJSU’s guy right now. He played well coming off the bench in the first two games, but was thrown to wolves in Texas for his first college start.

Will he flourish or flop against Utah? That remains to be seen.

Q: What would a win against Utah do for San Jose Staté?

LJ: It would be the Spartans’ greatest win in at least five years — when they won the Military Bowl — maybe even longer.

Many fans were satisfied with a 34-17 home loss to Utah last year, so just imagine what a road victory would do to the campus community.

Q: Who will win? And why? (Score prediction) 

LJ: If San José State wins, I’ll eat my hat. It would be one of the greatest comeback stories of all time for a team to lose 56-0, then beat a nationally ranked team one week later.

Utes win, 35-14.

@Britt_Colindres

@Scoop_Johnson