On the Other Sidelines: 7 Questions with the Daily Wildcat

+Arizona+defense+blocks+a+touchdown+by+Houston+before+halftime+on+Sept.+9+at+Arizona+Stadium.
Heather Newberry/The Daily Wildcat
Arizona defense blocks a touchdown by Houston before halftime on Sept. 9 at Arizona Stadium.

With its nonconference schedule in the rearview mirror, the University of Utah football team is now preparing to open its Pac-12 schedule on the road against Arizona. To gain more insight on the Wildcats, The Daily Utah Chronicle spoke to Saul Bookman, the sports editor of the Daily Wildcat, the Arizona student newspaper.

Q: What was clicking for Arizona in its 63-16 road victory over UTEP?

SB: The team played with a lot of confidence against a very sub-par team. The freshmen seem to be coming along, and Arizona once again dominated with their run game, with an occasional splash from quarterback Brandon Dawkins through the air.

Q: How do the Wildcats feel their nonconference schedule played out? What are their thoughts/attitudes heading into Pac-12 play?

SB: I think they are about where they expected to be. They could be 3-0, but quarterback play doomed them against a Houston team in their first game.

Q: The Arizona-Utah game is expected to be more of an Arizona run game verses a Utah run defense. What makes Arizona’s run game dangerous?

SB: They have a series of running backs led by Nick Wilson and JJ Taylor that continue to come at you in waves. Couple that with Dawkins ability to run the read option, and it could make matching up a nightmare. This would be the reason most teams stack the box and force Arizona to throw, something they haven’t been strong at recently.

Q: What does quarterback Brandon Dawkins bring to the table? What are you expecting to see from him Friday night?

SB: I am expecting a solid effort from Dawkins. He is the leader of the offense and he knows it. He also knows that every UA supporter is breathing down his back should he goof. I expect him to keep Arizona in the game, but for how long remains to be seen.

Q: What Wildcats should the Utes keep their eyes on?

SB: Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles is a budding star defensive back that could cause fits for Darren Carrington over the middle. JJ Taylor in the backfield is as elusive a back as there is in the country, and is a highlight film just about every play. Wide out Shun Brown is the best receiver on the team and has dynamic big play ability to compliment the running game.

Q: Who/what is Arizona focusing its time on as it prepares to host Utah?

SB: They are matching up with an offense that is very similar to theirs. So it is whose guess as to who is going to succeed. Both teams have talent in similar ways although Utah is more athletic.

Q: Who do you think will win? And why?

SB: I think Arizona is playing with confidence and starting to find their way. That being said, they are very young and undersized on the defensive side of the ball. I think this is the ultimate factor in whether they can keep up with the Utes. In the end, barring Arizona being able to create multiple turnovers, I think the Utes squeak one out, 24-21.

@Britt_Colindres

@Saul_Bookman