Football: No. 23 Utah Remains Undefeated, Beats Arizona 30-24

Kiffer Creveling
University of Utah senior kicker Matt Gay (97) kicks for extra points in an NCAA Football game vs. The San Jose State Spartans in Rice Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City, Utah on Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017 (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

An early lead paved the way for the No. 23 ranked University of Utah football team (4-0, 1-0 Pac-12) that continued to pile on points throughout its first Pac-12 game. Despite Arizona’s comeback efforts — coming within three points of tying the game, twice — Utah left Tucson victorious, 30-24.

The Utes finished the night rushing for 112 yards and passing for 229 yards. Tyler Huntley went 8-of-9 for 98 yards and one touchdown before exiting the game in the second quarter with what looked to be a shoulder injury. Senior Troy Williams stepped in, and he was 9-of-18 in the air for 131 yards. Zack Moss rushed for 73 yards on 14 carries, while Darren Carrington II had four catches for 76 yards. Matt Gay finished 3-for-3 on field goals to improve to 14-for-14 on the season.

A total of nine penalties were called on the Utes for a loss of 83 yards. Besides penalties, turnovers also played a factor in this game. Utah turned the ball over twice, while the Wildcats coughed it up five times.

“They hung in there. It was a tough game,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham after the game on FS1. “Anytime you play Arizona, particularly down here, it’s going to be physical and it’s going to be a tough game. We had just enough in the tank because that team over on the other side never quit.”

Opening up the scoring for the Utes was Samson Nacua with an 8-yard touchdown catch on their first offensive possession of the night. That was the only time Utah found the end zone in the first half, as Gay claimed the rest of the points. Over the first two quarters, Gay was responsible for seven points, two field goals and a PAT. He nailed a 41-yard and a 26-yard field goal plus a 37-yarder in the fourth quarter.

Arizona found itself on the scoreboard after a 32-yard field goal nine minutes into the game. It cut the Utes lead to 13-10 in the second quarter when Arizona’s Brandon Dawkins ran in a 1-yard touchdown.

Although Utah lost Huntley, having a senior like Williams — who started every game last season — able to come off the bench and get to work the way he did was a positive and reassuring sight to see.

“It’s next-man-up mentality. You never make excuses,” Whittingham said on FS1. “A guy goes down, next guy in. That’s like saying we’re young or this or that, it’s all bullcrap. You either win or you lose. No excuses.”

Williams connected with Demari Simpkins for a 37-yard catch that set Williams up to run in a 1-yard touchdown in the third quarter, extending Utah’s lead, 20-10.

The Cats struck back by putting up a 7-yard rushing touchdown of their own. Although the Wildcats tried to fight off the deficit they had been up against all night, a pick six lead to a touchdown by Javelin Guirdy who buried Arizona an inch deeper.

Both teams added to its scores in the final quarter of the game. Gay’s field goal gave Utah its final points of the night before Arizona brought the game within one touchdown after completing a 30-yard touchdown pass. The Cats attempted an on-side kick that was successful, but Casey Hughes forced Dawkins to fumble, giving Utah the ball with 2:33 left on the clock. Utah couldn’t get in the end zone that time around, and it was forced to punt. On the first drive for the Wildcats, it was Corrion Ballard who came up big at a crucial time for the Utes. Ballard intercepted Dawkins, his third interception in the game, to secure Utah its fourth-straight win.

Utah returns home to take on Stanford on Saturday, Oct. 7. Kickoff time is to be determined.

@Britt_Colindres

• A

Ashley BonnerJan 28, 2018 at 8:14 am

This one’s indeed a good game!