Films From Abroad: U Students’ Work in Italy Showcased at Post Theater

After spending five weeks abroad in the beautiful, enthralling city of Genova, Italy, 10 University of Utah students finally got to present the films they worked on. On Sept. 29, these various films were combined in an hour-long compilation and showcased at the Post Theater on the University of Utah Campus. The Film and Media Arts Department put together a magnificent showcase, but the true stars were the students who were behind the lens of these films.

The various films all captured a pillar of culture that pulses through the city of Genova. From the art of graffiti, violinmaking, beautiful dance pieces, a close look at the people of Genova, a documentary on gaming in Genova, to the search for the perfect gelato shop. Each film examined the Italian culture in great detail, despite how brief or long each film was. The students all dabbled in a variety of film genres as well, ranging from a romantic film, documentaries, web series, and a haunting memory piece. Sitting in the auditorium for an hour or so was a one-way ticket to immersion in the Italian culture. The students not only learned to adapt to a new culture and language, but they also learned the art of film and how to operate cameras and work together in a team, as many of the students collaborated with others on the trip to help complete their projects.

The students learned to look at life through a different lens. They learned to appreciate a different culture, to embrace life, and how to capture the little things that make it artistic. One film, in particular, captured someone who embodies all of this: Giuliana Marple.

Marple is an Italian language instructor at the U and is the head of the study abroad program in Italy. Student Erin Griss chose her film to be about Marple, documenting her view on life and her teaching philosophy. Marple exemplifies exactly what learning (and life) should be about: joy and passion. The lesson has obviously stuck with these students, for when they were asked what memory they would cherish from this trip, the consensus was the same: the experience.

The following students made films this past summer in Italy: Emiliano Mora Bucio, S. Brian Zavala, Erin Griss, Patrick Richard, Jackson Daneluk, Shujing Zeng, Laurie Larson, Mitch Whitfield, Ylka Redmond, and Daniel Steiner.

Special thanks to those in charge of the showcase: Giuliana Marple, Alysia Klein, Brian Measles, and Jennifer Humphreys.

You can learn more about this study abroad program here.