Events Calendar Oct. 23

Cara MacDonald

Big Dream Gathering

On Tuesday, Oct. 24 from 6:30 – 8 p.m. in the Union Ballroom, learn how to articulate your dreams and put them into action. This event consists of keynote speaker Mitch Matthews, who travels around the world speaking with students about how to make their dreams come true. There will also be an interactive activity that is designed to empower you and help turn your dreams into a reality. This event is free for all students.

The Haunted Orchestra

For its 16th year of performance, the Haunted Orchestra is presenting ìThe Power of the Dark Sideî on Thursday, Oct. 26 at 7:30 p.m. The Orchestra will be playing music by the legendary John Williams, Paul Dukas and Igor Stravinsky among many others. This performance will be centered on playing pieces that evoke a haunting and beautiful Halloween atmosphere. This event will take place at the Libby Gardner Concert Hall. This event is free for all University of Utah Students with their uID, other students pay $6.50 (same price for faculty, staff and seniors) and general admission is $12.50.

Ananya Dance Theatre

ìShyamali: Sprouting Wordsî is a production of the Ananya Dance Theatre and will be performed on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 7:30 – 9 p.m. The Ananya Dance Theatre Company is made up of women artists of color. They are cultural activists who work through dance and the artistic process to help build community and engage with audiences while striving for justice and beauty. This production of ìShyamali: Sprouting Wordsî was inspired by the work of Dr. Vandana Shiva along with other women activists of color. The word ìShyamaliî is Bengali for dark green, bringing to mind grass, ground cover and moss, which can be metaphors for courageous women who seek to create resilient and sustainable communities. This event will be held at the Sorenson Arts and Education Complex. General public pays $20 per ticket while U Students pay $5 (Arts Pass at box office with uID).

Exhibitions

Vikings: Beyond the Legend

Now through Jan. 1

Natural History Museum of Utah

Pick Your Poison

Now through Oct. 31

Eccles Health Sciences Library

Fake News, Fever Swamps and the First Amendment ó Media in the Age of Trump

Oct. 24, 2-3 p.m.

Building 73

Concerts

Summer Arts Winner with the American West Symphony

Oct. 24, 7:30 p.m.

Libby Gardner Concert Hall

Chamber Music Society of Salt Lake City: Pavel Haas Quartet

Oct. 24, 7:30 p.m.

Libby Gardner Concert Hall

Modern Dance Student Concert

Oct. 26, 5:30 p.m.

Marriott Center for Dance

Loveís Labourís Lost

Oct. 26, 7:30 p.m.

Studio 115