Candy Countdown

Candy+Countdown
Adam Fondren

One of the best parts of the Halloween season? The ooey-gooey treats we all love to endulge in. We took a minute to talk to people on campus about some of their favorite sugary snacks, and they had nothing but sweet things to say. From Milky Way to Mike and Ike, students sugar-rushed to answer our poll about which confectionery reigns supreme.

Chocolate Delight

Bringing up the rear in our chocolate category is Skor, an English toffee candy bar that is often used in British desserts such as trifles. Its close cousin, Heath, didn’t fare too well either, with an approval rating of 32 percent. Other low-ranking candy bars include Mr. Goodbar, Baby Ruth, Mounds, 100 Grand, Almond Joy, Tootsie Rolls, Three Musketeers, Milky Way and Crunch, all of which had a less than 50 percent approval rating.

1. Kit Kat. The true king of chocolate; the crunchy, the smooth, the one and only Kit Kat bar takes first prize in this contest. What a sweet victory it is.

2. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. Peanut butter and chocolate is a match made in heaven, and Reese’s PB Cup capitalizes on the marriage of those two sweethearts.

3. Twix and M&Ms. Twix’s cookie and caramel goodness also graced the top alongside M&Ms, where variety provides many with a satisfying snack.

4. Snickers. With its balance of sweet and salty, it’s no wonder that this treat made the top four.

Honorable mentions: Reese’s Pieces, Hershey’s Bar and Butterfinger, all of which had more than 50 percent approval.

Tutti Fruity

These fruit-a-licious treats scored much higher than their chocolate counterparts. All but four of the candies received more than a 50 percent approval. The only sweets that tasted defeat were Blow Pops, Redvines, Tootsie Pops and Mike and Ikes. Sure to be favorites in their own right, these four confections couldn’t take the heat against other choices for best fruity candy.

1. Starbursts. These sweets are bursting with flavor, sky-rocketing them to the very top of this category, where they belong.

2. Skittles. With the variety of flavors and colors, we’re convinced you do indeed taste the rainbow.

3. Nerds and Jolly Ranchers. Though these candies are small, they are mighty in terms of flavor and popularity. Both Nerds and Jolly Ranchers have a nice mix of sweet and sour flavors, so it’s not surprising that they wound up tying for third.

4. Airheads, Laffy Taffy and Smarties. These three clawed their way to the top with their unique flavors and textures. Airheads has its pull-able nature and bold flavoring, Laffy Taffy has its jokes and chewiness, and Smarties has its mouth puckering abilities and interesting crunch.

Honorable mentions: Pixie Stix and Twizzlers, both of which had more than a 50 percent approval rating.

Autumn Specials

Now, some among us don’t necessarily like candy all that much, but not to worry. There are plenty of other autumn delectables to be had.

1. Hot Chocolate. A rich and creamy classic for those chilly autumn evenings — be sure to try the lovely selections of gourmet hot cocoa at Ugurt.

2. Candy/Caramel Apples. Who doesn’t love a healthy snack covered in colorful and delicious sugary toppings?

3. Cider. Piping hot and spiced to perfection, cider is a great way to celebrate the falling leaves.

Five Tricks for Healthier Treats

As sad as it is, not everyone can enjoy candy this Halloween, but that doesn’t mean they can’t join in on the sweetness of the season. Here are a few tricks and recipes for those with dietary restrictions.

Sub in a Soda: Some box cake mixes, such as Duncan Hines, have a selection of vegan flavors. Replace the eggs and oil with a can of your favorite soda (or soda water), and you’re good to go.

Gluten Free Rice Krispies: The off-brand of Rice Krispies — Malt-o-Meal’s Crisp Rice — is a gluten free option to include in this sticky treat. To make it vegan, use Smucker’s Marshmallow Topping.

Dark Chocolate Apples: Try dipping this sweet fruit in dark chocolate for an anti-oxidant rich treat that’s great for your heart.

Jack-o-Lantern Fruit Cups: Hollow out a navel orange, carve a friendly face and fill it with your choice of fruit. It’s perfect for those trying to avoid refined sugar.

Monsterous Veggie Trays: Not in the mood for something sweet? Put a creative spin on a veggie tray. Arrange the various veggies and dips so it looks like a skeleton or a monster face.

Candy Corn Reigns Supreme

The ultimate Halloween candy? Candy corn of course. It was created for the season.

It’s a debate that always comes up around this time of year: Is candy corn actually delicious? Whether you love it or love to hate it, here are some fun facts about this Halloween treat.

Created by George Renninger in the 1880s, this tri-colored sweet has been a Halloween staple for years. It was mass produced by the Goelitz Confectionery Company (now known as Jelly Belly) at the turn of the 20th century, and it uses the same recipe today.

The process starts with slurry, which is the nickname for the mixture of fondant, corn syrup, sugar and marshmallow creme that make up candy corn. The slurry, or “liquid” candy corn, is colored and transferred to molds, layer by layer and left to set. As it cools, the three layers solidify and seal together. Lastly, the corn is deposited into a large drum pan and coated with edible wax to give it shine.

When it was initially produced, candy corn was actually known as “Chicken Feed.” At the time, agriculture-themed candies were all the rage, catering to a mostly rural society. Its iconic marketing catchphrase was “Something worth crowing for,” which was displayed on the box alongside a rooster logo.

Because of its popularity, candy corn is now available year round, with variants such as bunny corn and cupid corn; same flavor, but with seasonal coloring. Candy corn has gained such a following that there’s even a whole day centered around it. Celebrate National Candy Corn Day on Oct. 30 with a handful of this festive sweet.

@oliphant_haley