“Empower Her,” Theme of Leonardo’s Art After Dark

The Leonardo in Salt Lake City
Wikimedia Commons
The Leonardo in Salt Lake City

The Leonardo is well known for connecting art to math and science and for hosting amazing and empowering exhibits and events. Art After Dark is no exception.

“We want everyone who walks through our doors to find a spark of curiosity,” The Leonardo’s website said.

To kindle that spark, the museum is constantly arranging for contemporary, educational and unconventional exhibits to show people how everything can be connected to art.

Surprisingly, Wikipedia says it best, “The Leonardo, located in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah … is a science and art museum where visitors can explore the ways that science, technology, art and creativity connect.”

Art After Dark is a great example of this connection. The theme of the event changes every month in order to stay new and interesting. Leonardo curators often pay attention to social issues or trends and innovations in the art, math, science and technology worlds, and then tie the topics together in ways many of us wouldn’t even think. Their current exhibits accomplish this without making the connections seem forced, awkward or boring.

In March 2017, the event organizers chose “Android Love” as the Art After Dark theme and invited guests to explore their own creative processes and those of modern visionary artists as they enjoyed drinks, listened to live musicians and made art. This month, in honor of female artists of the past and present, the theme for the event on Jan. 19 is the documentary film “Amplify Her.”

“Amplify Her is a film, novel, and animated motion comic series exploring the rise of female artists in the electronic music scene. Imagined and brought to life by more than 30 female creators from around North America, the 89-minute feature follows seven up-and-coming stars as they find their unique voices within a male-dominated realm,” The Leonardo’s events page said.

Guests will have the option to choose between an 8 p.m. or a 10 p.m. screening of the documentary, then are welcome to explore the rest of the event however they would like to. After the screenings, notable DJs WALA and Amritaji — one of whom is actually in the documentary — will play music. Salt Lake’s Myriad Dance Company will also perform and guests will be able to watch the creative processes of painters like Ren Sarasvati as they work paintings over the course of the night.

This month’s Art After Dark will start at 6 p.m. on Jan. 19 with performances ending at midnight. General admissions tickets will be $20 at the door or $15 in advance; members will get a discount. For those worried about food, the Salt Bistro will be open for business so guests can buy food and drinks.

Bring friends who are interested in film, electronic dance music, science, technology or art in general to a night of fun they will not forget. To buy tickets, find a list of all the live painters and check out their work or sign up for Facebook updates on this and future events, go to http://www.theleonardo.org/event/leonardo-dark-amplify/.