Starting Spring Off Right

Adam Fondren
Tulips coming up through the snow on Sunday, March 4, 2018

With spring break quickly approaching, everyone is excited to take some time off and come back to power through the last few weeks of the semester. Utah has a wide range of things to do if you plan on staying here for spring break. We may not have beaches, but we have a lot of activities that will get you in the spring mood.

It’s no secret that Utah is home to many spectacular views and parks. If you and your friends are feeling adventurous, take a road trip down to Southern Utah and enjoy the natural beauty Utah has to offer in places like Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Delicate Arch, St. George and Capitol Reef National Park. After all, there’s nothing better than a long drive, good friends and even better music. If you’re looking to stay closer to Salt Lake City, Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons are home to breathtaking scenery. There also are an ample amount of hikes you can conquer over the break.

If the snow keeps up over the next few weeks, you can hit the ski resorts.

You could also check out the Bonneville Salt Flats and Four Corners.

If you’re not the type to hike, that’s perfectly fine. You can still experience the outdoors in simplicity. A drive is one of the best ways to get away without really getting away. So pick a favorite album and head up the canyon for a few hours. If you’re into gardening, you can start plotting your favorite plants and flowers over break. Sit on your porch or balcony and read a book you’ve been putting off. The most simple thing of all: go for a walk. If you like watching sports, you can always catch a Jazz or Real game. You can see the latest film or make a pact to discover all the hole-in-the-wall restaurants you’ve heard people raving about. There are many museums to go to in the Salt Lake area, like the UMFA or the Leonardo, and you can venture out to the Loveland Living Planet Aquarium or the Hogle Zoo. Remember to bring your uID so you can get student discounted prices.

Do some spring cleaning, and I don’t mean dusting and mopping. Do some spring cleaning in your own life: throw out clothes you don’t wear, sell them at a thrift store and revamp your personal library. Open the windows and turn on your record player or speakers and blast your favorite album while you change the sheets. There’s something about spring that assures us things can be made new again. Take advantage of the free time and start checking things off your bucket list.

Maybe you can take time to reevaluate how you’re doing on your New Year’s resolutions. Bottom line, as much as you want to let yourself become a hermit and binge a couple series on Netflix — don’t. Use spring break to get yourself ready for summer and be productive. Most of the time, we’re always shuffling to the next class, meeting or appointment, and we forget to enjoy ourselves. Treat yourself this spring break and remember that it doesn’t have to be a trip to Florida or California. You can find comfort, solace and happiness in your own home if you look hard enough.

@jayswal_palak