Essential Gifts For Dad

(Photo by: Justin Prather / Daily Utah Chronicle).

As the college basketball player, coach and broadcaster Jim Valvano said, “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could give another person, he believed in me.”

Giving back to the person who already gave you the greatest gift can seem difficult, especially with Father’s Day looming around the corner. It can be tough to find a gift that shows the extent of your appreciation. While it is tough, it is not impossible. Here are a few tips and tricks to vamp up your present this Father’s Day.

Stay Mindful

It’s easy to group dads into a single category despite how different each father really is. Don’t assume your dad is like every other dad. There are plenty of advertisements suggesting generic Father’s Day gifts. While these gifts might work for some, they might not work for others. Instead of playing the guessing game this holiday, choose your gift according to what you already know. You probably know what his interests and hobbies are, so shop with those in mind.

Accessorize

Accessories are great gifts and won’t completely break the bank. You can find watches, ties and shoes for an affordable price. Boost Dad’s wardrobe with his favorite colors, designs and styles in mind.

Accessories don’t necessarily have to be wardrobe related. There are various power-tool, grill and home accessories a father might need. Listen when your dad mentions he needs something and bestow it upon him this holiday.

Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner

Maybe all your dad wants is his favorite meal at his favorite restaurant with his favorite people. Mealtime provides not only a bite to eat, but also a moment for conversation between father and child. Meals also provide a special opportunity for bonding with your dad. While it isn’t a tangible gift, it is a thoughtful present nonetheless. Physical gifts don’t supply ample time with your dad — a meal does. Breakfast, lunch or dinner are great gifts because of the significant bonding time they allow.

Outdoor Activities

Many dads like to be the one to fix things. They regularly do home maintenance, yard work and occasionally fix the car when it makes unusual sounds. For Father’s Day, try taking your dad somewhere outside of the home. My dad loves to fish, but there are other various outdoor activities that you and your dad can do together. Camping can be fun, especially since it requires a prolonged trip in a different environment.

If you’re not sure what kind of activities he enjoys out of the house, simply ask him. It’s always better to treat him with something he enjoys than something he despises.

Time

Children grow older and spend less time with their parents — it’s only natural. We move away to college and the time spent with our fathers diminishes. While physical gifts are great, sometimes the best gift of all is yourself. This Father’s Day, instead of spending money on a gift, spend time with your father. Go out and do things your father likes to do. This way you’re participating in their treasured hobbies while also spending quality time with them.

You might find the perfect gift this holiday, you might not. It’s not always just about finding the perfect gift. Sometimes all it takes is time, conversation and unconditional love to show just how much you care. In the end, it’s truly the thought that counts.

@adelinaydg