Niall Horan’s “Flicker” Tour Comes to Utah

Chart-topper Niall Horan will be coming to Utah this upcoming week as he takes on the last leg of his “Flicker” tour, named for his debut solo album. It’s a rare occurrence to see an artist of his magnitude perform here in Utah. In fact, the last time Horan was in Utah was August 2012 at the Maverik Center when One Direction toured their album “Take Me Home.”

Horan’s been performing his 13 track soulful album since August of last year, starting off with 21 shows in intimate venues all across the world during his “Flicker Sessions” tour. From the very beginning, Horan took his solo career into his own hands, deciding to tour the album without it being released. Although some music critics found this move crazy, Horan’s fans prevailed and went out to his shows. “Flicker” was released on October 20, 2017 and was the third solo album from a member of One Direction to hit number 1 on both Billboard and iTunes within hours. Following his bandmates’ solo debuts, Zayn Malik’s R&B album “Mind of Mine” and Harry Styles’ self-entitled rock album, Horan’s “Flicker” was a sharp contrast. A full review of “Flicker” can be found here.

It’s not just the Utah fans who are excited to see Horan after so long. On July 16, Horan tweeted his excitement to tour the US for the next two months.

He followed up on his own tweet by retweeting several fans as they responded with where they would be seeing him. The venues he’s chosen for this world tour contrast the venues of “Flicker Sessions” which held 3,000 to 5,000 fans. These venues, such as USANA amphitheater in West Valley, are outdoors. It’ll be interesting to see if the same comfort from his smaller shows is present in such a large space.

With chart-topping songs like “Slow Hands” and “On the Loose” which have been streamed and played on the radio over and over again, it’s no surprise Horan’s performance in Utah is much-anticipated. Aside from his previous accolades and experiences with One Direction, this tour has monumental significance for his career. As of now, he’s toured several continents and “Flicker” has continued to surmount records. One thing is clear with Horan — he has put his entire heart into the album and is not afraid to show it when he performs.

Niall Horan will be performing with his opener Maren Morris at the USANA Amphitheatre on Monday July 30. The doors will open at 5:30 PM. Tickets are still available both in the seated area and the lawn area. You can purchase them here.

@palak_jayswal