No. 25 Utah Takes First Pac-12 Win in Weekend Bout

Kiffer Creveling
The University of Utah Utes celebrate after a point in an NCAA Volleyball match vs. the UCLA Bruins at the Jon M. Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, Sept. 21, 2018. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Utah Volleyball went 1-1 this past weekend against Washington State Friday night and the University of Washington on Sunday afternoon.

The Utes dropped the first and second sets, but came back hard in the third and fourth sets, taking WSU by 25-17. The fifth set was back and forth almost the entire time. There were 12 ties in the fifth set, with three match points that were spoiled by WSU. WSU ended up taking the win 18-16.

The Utes had four players with double-digit kills and two career nights for outside hitter Megan Yett, who led the team with 18 kills and 18 digs, and outside hitter Kenzie Koerber with 15 kills hitting .394 with 7.0 blocks.

The Utes then traveled to Seattle to take on UW Sunday afternoon. Utah captured their first Pac-12 win in four sets.

The Utes started off the first two sets quickly leading and then taking the win, the first set finishing at 25-22 and the second 25-21. The third set was tied late at 20, and the Huskies made a brief comeback to push the match to a fourth set taking the third 25-21. The Utes finished off the match in the fourth set 25-20, taking their first Pac-12 win this season.

“We were just focusing on executing the first two balls making sure they don’t get on more than two runs and I think we did a really great job of that,” Yett said. “We focused on serve receive, making sure that we got a really good pass so we could execute the first ball to make sure they don’t go on those runs.”

The Utes will now go on to play at home for four straight matches, starting with No. 2 Stanford this Friday, Oct. 5 at 6 p.m.

@LeilaniGastelum