A Day to Remember: The 2018 Veterans Day Commemoration

Kiffer Creveling
Watching the United States Air Force air show at Hill Field Air Force Base in Ogden, Utah starring the Thunderbirds on Sunday, June 26, 2016 (Photo by: Kiffer Creveling || The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The University of Utah is dedicated to improving and enhancing the individual and academic success of veterans, service members and their family members who attend the university.

In 2015, USA Today named the U one of the top ten most veteran-friendly universities in the nation.

The U hosts numerous military-related institutions on campus, from the historic Fort Douglas to the state-of-the-art George E. Wahlen Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center. It is the University of Utah Veterans Support Center’s goal to help individuals receive the benefits that they have earned and succeed while in school.

(Photo by: Kiffer Creveling || The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The center serves as a liaison between the student veterans community and the university, operating as a gateway, linking those that share similar experiences together. Every year, there are hundreds of Utah students that use the center to access the benefits that help them pay for their courses. The center has counselors trained in many fields to help students fulfill their academic goals and graduate. They offer a range of services like peer mentoring to events like veterans yoga. The University of Utah Veterans Day Committee has also been honoring all Utah veterans in an annual special military service. This day offers a range of activities that are free to the public.

The committee highly recommends that students, families and staff participate in the multitude of events they offer. These events include a medallion ceremony, cannon salute and morning panel discussion with military and civilian experts. The U is proud to recognize our veterans and show its respect to the men and women serving America.

Retired Lieutenant Colonel Chris Robinson has served in the United States Air Force for 28 years as a fighter pilot. During an interview with him, he shared that “as a nation, we need to remember those individuals that gave everything to give us a free country.”

Their sacrifices gave us this country that we live in every single day. “I have watched a lot of people do really amazing things,” said Robinson, “so to have people go out and do these amazing things and truly give their all is a great measure of dedication. I am very thankful for all of that and to have been a part of it.”

Throughout his conversation with the Chronicle, Lieutenant Colonel Chris Robinson was humble and gracious about his service. At the end of our talk, his final words of advice were to consider what you hold most dear to you. In one way or another, there are people serving this country to protect that.

For those wishing to participate, below is a calendar of events for the 2018 annual Veterans Day Commemoration to remember and honor our veterans.

• From Nov. 5-10, there will be a Wall of Honor. Say “thank you for your service!” by signing the wall in honor of a vet you know. You can find this wall in the Union lobby and across campus.
  • On Monday, Nov. 5, there will be a “Meet a Vet” BBQ. Come have a lunch and meet a veteran. This event will go from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. in the Marriott Library Plaza. Burgers will be provided and a free raffle for students, faculty and staff of the U.
  • Tuesday, Nov. 6, there will be a free movie screening of “The Imitation Game” (PG-13). This event begins at 6:00 p.m. in the Fort Douglas Theater.
  • On Wednesday, Nov. 7, there will be a panel discussion: U.S. Military Impact on Cybersecurity. It will occur between 12 p.m. – 1 p.m. in the Hinckley Institute Caucus Room, Gardner Commons Building. It is free for the public.
  • On Thursday, Nov. 8, there will be a Veterans Cup Dodgeball, where you can support your favorite team. The tournament will start at 2:30 p.m. on the Lower Courts at the Student Life Center. A small donation is requested to support veterans.
  • The 21st Annual Veterans Day Commemoration Ceremony will occur Friday, Nov. 9. Eleven Utah veterans will be honored in a full military dress ceremony that includes bagpipe procession, medallion presentation and cannon salute. The ceremony begins at 11 a.m. sharp and is expected to last until 12. It is free to the public and will occur in the Union Ballroom.
  • There will be the Veterans Day Tailgate Party Saturday, Nov. 10 before the Utah vs. Oregon game. This tailgate, proudly sponsored by the U’s Auxiliary Business Development Office, is for all service members, veterans and family members attending the football game. The tailgate will occur at Ft. Douglas #621, 1945 De Trobriand Street, SLC, UT 84113. During the game, there will be several commemorative events to honor our veterans.

A special thanks to Retired Lieutenant Colonel Chris Robinson for taking time out of his day, the Veterans Support Center for information regarding their services and the University of Utah for the annual Veterans Day Commemoration schedule.

@BenfieldKaylara