Top 10 Best Patriotic Productions

PH2 MICHAEL D.P. FLYNN, USN
A naval aviator assists film makers in the production of the motion picture “Top Gun.” (Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons)

The U.S. standard for patriotism usually involves barbecues, fireworks and American flag apparel. However, the television and movie industry often displays U.S. nationalism without the theatrics. Here’s 10 of the most patriotic television series and movies to grace our country.

“Hidden Figures” (2016)
As the space race against the Soviets heats up, a group of African-American mathematician women help NASA solve the science of space exploration. The trio sidestepped racism and sexism to become a fundamental aspect of the U.S. space mission. This movie exemplifies what America is about — hard work, dedication and accomplishing the impossible.

“Unbroken” (2014)
Based on the nonfiction novel by Laura Hillenbrand, “Unbroken” tells the tale of Olympian Louis Zamperini, who served in the army during the second World War. Zamperini is captured and held as a prisoner of war for two years after a plane crash leaves him stranded on a raft in the Pacific for 47 days. Zamperini stayed true to himself and made it home to his family in the U.S. despite the fear and abuse he faced.

“Top Gun” (1986)
Tom Cruise’s character Maverick is a daring student at the U.S. Navy elite fighter weapons school, also known as “Top Gun.” To be the best, he competes with his friend Iceman. As a Navy pilot, Maverick fights for the U.S. What shows more loyalty than serving one’s own country?

“Independence Day” (1996)
Survivors must band together and fight the aliens who want to invade and destroy the earth. Characters must engage in deadly combat with the extraterrestrials to preserve the planet’s survival. “Independence Day,” as the title suggests, becomes the ultimate fight for freedom in Roland Emmerich’s sci-fi film.

“Parks and Recreation” (2009-2015)
Leslie Knope, played by Amy Poehler, is as patriotic as it gets. Knope works for the Parks and Recreation Department in Pawnee, Indiana, where her primary goal is to do what is right. She works as hard as possible to get things done for the town. While “Parks and Recreation” only ran for six seasons, the intense determination and passion for one’s nation and state is evident in Knope’s vibrant character.

“Apollo 13” (1995)
Jim Lovell’s (Tom Hanks), Fred Haise’s (Bill Paxton) and Jack Swigert’s (Kevin Bacon) lives are in jeopardy when their spacecraft undergoes extreme damage. America must derive a way to return the three astronauts to earth safely and failure is not an option. America does not give up, and this film reminds viewers of it.

“Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan” (2018)
John Krasinski stars as Jack Ryan, an up-and-coming CIA analyst. As a member of a group created specifically to protect the U.S., Ryan and the CIA are bound to the country. In other words, this Amazon series is super patriotic.

“Saving Private Ryan” (1998)
“Saving Private Ryan” is arguably one of Steven Spielberg’s greatest movies of all time. When a mother is grieving the death of three of her children, U.S. soldiers go behind enemy lines to recover her last living child. In spite of the death and profanity, I highly recommend this award-winning war film.

“First Man” (2018)
You probably heard about the first man to walk on the moon, Neil Armstrong. Well, this movie is all about him and the sacrifices he made to make it to the moon. He refused to let both the nation and himself down, a loyal contribution to America’s vast history. “First Man” is sure to be worth the month-long wait when it hits theaters Oct. 22.

Future Release Sneak Peak

“On the Basis of Sex” (2018)
Ruth Bader Ginsburg became the second female supreme court justice in the U.S. in 1993, but she fiercely advocated for gender equality before then. “On the Basis of Sex” offers a glimpse into the discrimination Ginsburg faced and the struggles she overcame to get where she is today. Her inspiring tale encourages patience, sheer determination and strength of character, traits you’ll need yourself since the movie isn’t released until Dec. 2018.

There are thousands upon thousands of movies circulating this planet, yet there are only so many we can look to in order to satisfy our patriotic needs. This list contains some of the greatest films to grace the movie industry. Time to grab a bowl of popcorn, a warm blanket and watch some spectacular movies.

@adelinaydg

• S

SQRaeNov 10, 2018 at 7:54 am

Turn: Washington’s Spies. Four seasons of resistance at the inception of the USA.