Volleyball: Utes Sweep Arizona State

The University of Utah volleyball team had two outstanding wins this weekend, capping it with a sweep against Arizona State on Sunday, Nov. 11. The team went into Sunday’s match confident and hoping to continue their elevated play.

“This week we worked so much on blocks and digs and really just digging around those blocks,” said libero Brianna Doehrmann. “It was really good for us to really focus on that because that’s been something that has slowly been breaking down all season, so this whole week focusing on that really payed off.”

Outside hitters Megan Yett and Dani Drews let the team in kills. Yett had 15 kills and Drews had 13, and 12 digs to boot, completing yet another double-double this season.

The first set started off tight until the Utes went on an 8-1 run to take the lead. Arizona State tried to catch up but the Utes finished it up before they could get any further, taking the set 25-21.

The second set started off close for the Utes as well. After Utah got up two points at 22-20 the Sun Devils took a timeout and were able to to get within one, but the Utes didn’t let it continue, finishing off the second set at 25-22.

The Utes used the momentum they had in the first two sets to finish off the third powerful. The Utes dominated Arizona in the third, taking the match with a 25-6 third set victory.

Setter Bailey Choy completed the match with 34 assists and seven digs, and libero Brianna Doehrmann finished with 14 digs.

Utah will now be on the road this weekend for matches against Oregon and Oregon State. The first match will be against Oregon on Wednesday November, 14 at 8:00 PM MT.

“Defense, defense, defense,” Doehrmann said about what they have been working on during their practices. “And consistently being that really good serving team that we have been all season.”

The Utes currently have an overall score of 15-12 with 7-9 in Pac-12 play. 

This past weekend Oregon went 1-1 with a loss against No. 2 Stanford and a win against Cal.

Oregon currently has an overall score of 17-9 and 10-9 in conference play.

@LeilaniGastelum