“Malibu Nights” is a Wonderfully Cathartic Breakup Album

Paul Jason Klein, lead singer of LANY. courtesy Wikimedia Commons.

The alternative pop band LANY (the name is an acronym for Los Angeles, New York) released their new album “Malibu Nights” on Oct. 5. The nine-track sophomore album is a tribute to the process of navigating through a broken heart. Though it deals with tough emotions, “Malibu Nights” is a leap forward and a triumph, proving that LANY is unstoppable.

After finishing their first world tour, the trio went right back into the studio to record “Malibu Nights.” Luckily, no aspect of this album seems rushed — every song feels deliberate and carefully thought out. Paul Klein (lead vocals and keyboard), Jake Goss (drums) and Les Priest (backup vocals and guitar) are effortlessly harmonious in every song on the album. The opening track “Thick and Thin” speaks volumes about the betrayal that comes from a broken heart, and the closing track “Malibu Nights” captures the old adage that “time heals all,” no matter how long it takes. The lyrics in every song are intricately constructed as if each word is a piece of Klein’s broken heart. Many LANY fans speculate “Malibu Nights” is the result of his break up with British artist Dua Lipa. Whether this is true or not, what makes this album so enjoyable and so well received by fans is its heartbreaking honesty. After all, the best music makes us feel something. This authenticity reverberates not only through the band’s music but through their personal lives as well.

In an interview with Billboard magazine, Klein spoke about the process of writing such honest, raw songs. “I feel like a lot of times in my whole life to really process or communicate something — I feel like I can do it better in music, and I think that’s part of what we do as LANY,” he said. If you listen to the album straight through, you can hear the band go back and forth between wanting to get over heartbreak and wanting to go back to the person who broke their heart. This contrast makes the album both empowering and relatable all at once. In a sense, “Malibu Nights” is a concept album. It captures the entire process of getting through a heartbreak, and it works wonderfully.

“Malibu Nights” is completely different from the band’s debut album, in terms of concept and sonic direction. This new album shows the band’s musical development. There are more piano and guitar, the vocals are softer and the lyrics are arguably more poignant. “Run” is the only song on the album which really stands out in contrast to the others. Its upbeat tempo works with the harsh, accusatory lyrics.

Don’t let the bright colors on the album cover fool you — “Malibu Nights” is the melancholy breakup album that everyone needs. It’s got a little bit of everything, but most of all, it’s art in its purest form. The emotion behind it is forever captured in these beautiful songs, which is something LANY — and their fans — should celebrate.

@palak_jayswal