Utes Host Long Beach State

Continuing their preseason run, the University of Utah women’s basketball team is hosting Long Beach State University in their second straight home game. This game will be the second of three straight home games.

In their previous game, the Utes took down the University of Alabama 72-62. The Utes are undefeated so far this season against their preseason opponents.  

Utah shot 43 percent from the floor, and 81 percent on free throws. Five Utah players scored points in the double digits, and senior Megan Huff led the team with 21 points and 12 rebounds. This was her second double-double in a row.

Dre’Una Edwards added 10 points and 10 rebounds to the game, and Daneesha Provo put up 12 points, followed closely by Kiana Moore with 11 points, making this her first double-double of the season.  

Long Beach State is currently 0-2 in the preseason as they go into this game against Utah. This will be their second Pac-12 opponent in a row as they fell 86-50 against USC last week.  

Utah and Long Beach met once before in 2013 during the Women’s National Invitational Tournament. They faced off in the first round of the games, and Utah came away with a 56-49 victory to move onto the next round. Utah went on to compete in the championship game of that tournament, but they fell to Drexel University.

Utah’s new additions to the roster this year have made quite a mark on the program already, and they have brought recognition on the program.  

True freshman Edwards was named the Pac-12 Freshman of the Week, and this was her first recognition of the season. This is the sixth time in Utah history that this award has been given to a freshman in the program.

This recognition was well earned, as Edwards made a good impression in her first time on the court as a Ute. In the season opener against the University of Nevada Reno, Edwards scored 16 points and stole 15 rebounds in Utah’s 74-52 win against the Wolf Pack.

Edwards was 6-of-16 from the floor and scored four of her five attempted free throws. She earned a double-double, and this was the first time since the 2014-15 season that a true freshman began their career with a double-double.  

Tip-off for the game will be at 6 p.m. in Salt Lake City at the Jon M. Huntsman Center.

@CaseyOverfield