Crimson Kids Debut: A Babysitter for Football Fans

Michael Adam Fondren
Kids wait to recieve high fives from the players during warm ups at the University of Utah Vs. Oregon State at the Huntsman Center January 28, 2017. Michael Adam Fondren for the Daily Utah Chronicle.

The University of Utah’s Center for Child Care and Family Resources gives parents a game day break with Crimson Kids – Drop-In Child Care. Crimson Kids will make its debut for the BYU versus Utah game.

“Our mission is to support and coordinate information, program development and services that enhance family resources as well as the availability, affordability and quality of child care for University students, faculty and staff,” said the Center for Child Care and Family Resources’ website.

Children of Crimson Club members and all football fans ages two through eight will now be able to enjoy pom-pom making, face painting, cheer lessons and yard games.

“All children need quality care, whether at home with a parent, being cared for by a relative or in a child care setting. Quality care is care that promotes the optimal growth and development of children,” said the Center for Child Care and Family Resources’ website.

Open to all, but targeted to Crimson Club members, Crimson Kids gives perks to more than parents.

“Crimson Club members are loyal Ute fans who generously help talented students gain a great education from the University of Utah, while providing the financial support that allows Utah’s varsity teams to participate at the highest level in athletic competition,” said the Crimson Club website.

Allotted on a first come, first served basis, kids get a helping hand in getting into the game day spirit.

Located at 545 S. Guardsman Way, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, kids will play right in the tailgating parking lot at the Guardsman Way Center.

To take part, children must be potty-trained, as the staff is not allowed to change diapers.

“Children who are toilet trained will be taken to the bathroom by a staff member. Parents will be contacted by text or phone call during tailgating and game time if their child needs assistance,” said the Statement of Understanding.

There is no food or drink in the child care area and meals are not provided, so parents are encouraged to feed their children beforehand. Shoes are also mandatory. Parents are also asked to shield their children from the sun.

“Parents are responsible for applying sunscreen to their children immediately prior to Crimson Kids attendance, and as needed,” said the Statement of Understanding.

The fun doesn’t come free. There is a surge from $15 an hour during tailgating to $20 an hour during game time. Purchases can be made in two- and four-hour increments. There is also a registration fee of $25 per child due at registration once a year. Other fees include a pick-up charge of $1.00 per child every minute that the parent is late getting their child. This fee occurs after the arranged pick-up time even if the parent is in sight.

Any charges that go unpaid will acquire an 18 percent per year interest rate after 30 days and may be filed with a collection agency or attorney.

To sign in, parents need to have a valid photo ID and are expected to have their phones easily accessible throughout the tailgate and game.

“It is required that the parent have their mobile device on and available at all times while their child is in care,” said the Statement of Understanding.

Parents can also register online through the Center for Child Care and Family Resources website, though it does not guarantee a saved spot for the child.

Another service by the Center for Child Care and Family Resources includes University Child Care Centers. Centers are at various locations throughout the valley including UKids in Presidents Circle, BioKids, the Child and Family Development Center, UKids East Village, UKids Guardsman Way and the Virginia Tanner Dance Fine Arts Preschool.

In the search for child care, the Center for Child Care and Family Resources at the U pushes those interested to ask questions.

“Our resources are available to you at no charge. Please check our website often for new programs and child care information. Contact us with any questions you may have,” said the Center for Child Care and Family Resources’ website.

The university website even offers the service U-Match. U-Match acts as a way to narrow down the search for child care. With a uNID, users can enter in their own information and what they are looking for in child care to find the perfect match.

Crimson Kids may only be for game day, but the Center for Child Care and Family Resources doesn’t stop there.

@kenzomcd