Track and Field Looks to Sprint Past Competition This Weekend

Kiffer Creveling
The University of Utah and Weber State host the Spring Classic at the McCarthy track & field in Salt Lake City, Utah on Friday, April 6, 2018. (Photo by Kiffer Creveling | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Coming off of a weekend where records were set and event titles were captured, Utah Track and Field will lace up their cleats once again as they travel to New Mexico and Weber State.

The Utes took home three event titles last week, including the 4×400 meter relay with a time of 3:56.54. Utah also finished first in the 600-meter run, as freshman Brooke Manson ran the race in 1:34.78, and in the mile where freshman Scarlet Dale finished with a 5:00.42 run.

The Utes had six runners finish in the top six of the 600-meter run, which was a huge highlight for the team on the whole.

Freshman Taylor Watson also had a great outing, breaking her second school record on the season in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.66 seconds and taking second place.

When asked about the newest school record, Watson said, “The first one I was really excited about because I’m a freshman running in my first collegiate race, but the second one was tough because I didn’t win the race. I’m a competitive person and I feel like that was just my competitive nature, but I was definitely still happy and the result gave me an edge for my next race.”

Watson also went on to talk about the meets for this weekend.

“I’m looking forward to the major competition that will be there,” Watson said. “They’ve got a great track in New Mexico so I’m really excited to run on that. I’m just looking forward to seeing the team and myself improve every week. I really want to make finals and I really want the team to make finals in each of their events.”

New Mexico Track and Field will come into the weekend ranked eleventh in the USTFCCCA NCAA Division I Indoor Track and Field poll and should be a good test for the Utes.

The Lobos Track and Field Team had a strong showing last weekend with a third-place finish in the 800-meter run with Kieran Casey running a 2:12.90 and a fifth-place finish by Hannah Nuttall at 2:14.24.

Weber State looked good at the Ed Jacoby Invitational in Boise, Idaho, with Sophie Merritt taking first place in the shot put with a mark of 49-08.25 and Kate Sorensen winning the 400-meter run with a time of 56:29. The Wildcats also had a first, second and third finish in the high jump.

The meets will both begin on Saturday, Jan. 26 in Albuquerque, New Mexico and Ogden, Utah.

@brayden_ramsay

Brayden Ramsay
Brayden Ramsay, Sports Writer
Brayden Ramsay is a sports writer.

• K

Kennedy PickeringJan 27, 2019 at 12:30 pm

Braydens writings are so amazing! I love to read his articles, and can’t wait to see what else he writes. He is so dedicated to his work! GREAT JOB!!

• B

Brayden RamsayJan 27, 2019 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for your support Kennedy! I appreciate it!
      -Brayden