Utah Track and Field had a strong outing this weekend, which saw some record-breaking performances at the New Mexico Invitational.

Jackie Martin began the day for the Utes and Utah’s A and B teams finished things off in the 4×400 relay. 

On Saturday, four Utes moved into the top ten in Utah history for their respective races. Martin ran the 400-meter in 55.82 and moved into sixth place in Utah history. Taylor Watson also earned a personal record and moved into third place in school history with a 24.98 in the 200-meter, while senior Raynee Helm-Wheelock moved into ninth all-time in the 200 with a 25.58. Whitney Hessler also moved into eighth place at Utah in the 800-meter run with a 2:10.16

“We really had a strong day and overall I think we competed very well,” said head coach Kyle Kepler. “I was very pleased with the performances from [Saturday] and it was another step forward for our young, talented crew of student-athletes.”

Watson and Helm-Wheelock also tied their personal records in the 60-meter with a 7.66 and a 7.79, respectively. Brooklyn James led the way for the Utes in the 600-meter taking fourth place overall with a personal best of 1:36.91. Brooke Martin wasn’t far behind James finishing with a PR of 1:37.02 and taking fifth place.

Hessler had a personal best 800-meter run taking third place overall, while Mesa Weidle also had a personal record in the 800 with a 2:16.84, taking fifth place.

The Utah A team, which includes Lauren O’Banion, Maya Lebar, Weidle and J. Martin, set a season-best time of 3:47.10 in the 4×400 meter relay taking third place. Utah B, which includes James, B. Martin, Skyler Blair, and Hessler, took fifth place in the 4×400 with a 3:55.16.

The Utes will be back on the track next weekend at the Colorado Indoor Invitational in Boulder, Colorado. The Invitational will last two days and takes place Feb. 1-2.

Keep updated with the Utah Track and Field team on Twitter (@Utah_trackfield), Facebook (UtahTrackXC) and on Instagram (@utahtrackxc).

b.ramsay@dailyutahchronicle.com

@brayden_ramsay

Brayden Ramsay is a Senior at the University of Utah writing for the sports desk. He previously worked for Snow College Athletics before leaving on a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to London, England. After transferring to the University of Utah, Brayden decided to major in Sports Journalism and hopes to one day work for a major sports network. This is Brayden's first year at the Chronicle.