McCarthy Track and Field at the University of Utah on January 9, 2019. (Photo by Cassandra Palor | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

The Utah Track and Field team will take on the University of Colorado Boulder this weekend at the Colorado Indoor Invitational. The Utes are coming off of a strong outing in New Mexico where four runners set new records and entered the all-time Utah top-10 lists for their respective races.

Among the record setters is Jackie Martin, who now sits in sixth place in Utah history in the 400 meter. Freshman Taylor Watson moved up to third place and senior Raynee Helm-Wheelock moved into ninth place in the 200 meter. Whitney Hessler also had a strong day as she moved into eighth place at Utah in the 800 meter run.

“Team chemistry and team culture are definitely number one on our list,” said head coach Kyle Kepler about this year’s runners. “They’re not afraid to work hard and they have a great level of commitment to themselves, to each other and to the program, and it’s exciting to watch and be a part of.”

When asked about the upcoming meet at Colorado, Kepler said, “This week, we’re going to have everyone run in their premier events. We’re going to find out where they’re at. I’m confident in our team and I’m excited to see us moving in a good direction. I’m looking forward to seeing us run this weekend.”

The Utes are looking forward to taking on the Buffaloes in the Colorado Indoor Invitational and hope to continue their recent successes.

The Buffaloes also had a strong weekend a few weeks back at New Mexico’s Martin Luther King Invitational. Colorado had two women running for personal best times in the hurdle event. Michael Wenning finished in tenth place with a personal best time of 8.78, while Drianna Mustin also scored a personal best with a 9.13 and came in eighteenth place. During last weekend’s event at the Air Force Academy, the main highlight for the Buffaloes came in the 60 hurdles as Eriana Henderson won the race and finished in 8.44.

The Colorado Indoor Invitational will begin on Friday, Jan. 31, and will conclude on Saturday, Feb. 1 in Boulder, Colorado.

b.ramsay@dailyutahchronicle.com

@brayden_ramsay

Brayden Ramsay is a Senior at the University of Utah writing for the sports desk. He previously worked for Snow College Athletics before leaving on a Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to London, England. After transferring to the University of Utah, Brayden decided to major in Sports Journalism and hopes to one day work for a major sports network. This is Brayden's first year at the Chronicle.