Events Calendar February 2019

(Courtesy of Ballet West)

Jackie Chan at The Leonardo on the January 24, 2019. (Photo by Cassandra Palor | Daily Utah Chronicle)

Jackie Chan: Green Hero

The Leonardo

Jan. 26 – April 28

Jackie Chan unveiled his new environmental exhibit at The Leonardo: Museum of Creativity and Innovation featuring a series of original pieces created from recycled movie props and film sets. Viewers can enjoy 18 sculptures as well as video messages from Chan himself. Tickets are $9.95 with a student ID.

The Race to Promontory: The Transcontinental Railroad and the American West

The Utah Museum of Fine Arts

Opens Feb. 1

Free to University of Utah students, faculty and staff, this is a must-see traveling exhibit. It has been 150 years since the eastern and western continental railroad networks were joined at Promontory Summit, Utah on May 10, 1989. The exhibit will feature historic photographs from the events as well as artifacts from the Union Pacific Railroad museum. This collection is the largest in the world. The centerpoint of the exhibit is the three spikes— Golden, Nevada and Arizona, which have never been before together in Utah.

Cake

Salt Lake Acting Company

Feb. 6 – March 10

Take a break from love and step back into the quiet world of politics in this eventful show. Della finds herself in a sticky situation when she is asked to bake a cake for two women in her town in North Carolina, where she is torn between family and faith.

La Fille Mal Gardee

School of Dance

Feb. 7-16

The U’s School of Dance will perform the 1789 French ballet “La Fille Mal Gardee” from Feb. 7-16. This new adaptation, developed for the U by American Ballet Theatre alumnus Bruce Marks, follows a young woman in the countryside trying to leave a dead-end marriage. Tickets are free with a U student ID.

(Courtesy of Ballet West)

Swan Lake

Ballet West

Feb. 8-23

As beautiful as it is sad, “Swan Lake” tells the story of a prince and girl torn asunder by an evil wizard. This is the last time principal Christopher Rudd will perform the role of the prince before his retirement. Adding to the romance, principal artists Beckanne Sisk and Chase O’Connell just got engaged.

Antony and Cleopatra

National Theater Live (airing at The Broadway)

Feb. 9

Cleopatra has long been hailed as one of the most beautiful women of all time. Come see how she met the man she died for. Student tickets are only $15 through the Tanner Humanities Center.

Bollywood Boulevard

Kingsbury Hall

Feb. 15

“Bollywood Boulevard” is a live-action celebration of Hindi cinema coming to Salt Lake City. The performance celebrates the history of Bollywood musicals, combining music, dance and multimedia presentations. Tickets are $5 with a U student ID.

Don Giovanni

School of Music

Feb. 15 & 16

On Feb. 15 and 16, the U Lyric Opera will perform Mozart’s “Don Giovanni.” “Don Giovanni” is an Italian opera based on legends of Don Juan with a plot that mixes comedy, drama and fantasy. Tickets are free with a U student ID.

(Courtesy of Pioneer Theatre Company)

Once

Pioneer Theatre

Feb. 15 – March 2

The perfect show to soothe post-Sundance blues. This Tony award-winning musical was once a festival favorite itself. Be enchanted as an Irishman and Czech women fall for each other on the streets of Dublin. All of the instruments will be played live onstage by the actors. Student tickets are only $5.

Company

U Theatre Department

Feb. 15 – March 3

“Company” follows a single man, Bobby, and his group of married friends preparing to celebrate his 35th birthday. The musical is famous for its witty songs, serious treatment of relationships and nontraditional plot. Tickets are free with a student ID.

Banff Film Festival

Kingsbury Hall

Feb. 20 – 22

Nature lovers unite for a series of harrowing tales and thrilling adventures. Tickets are $10 for U students, but you can also get discount multi-night packages.

(Courtesy of Pygmalion)

Wait

Pygmalion at Rose Wagner Theater

Feb. 21 – March 9

“Wait,” the latest play from the feminist theatre company Pygmalion Productions, is a unique coming-of-age story from Salt Lake Acting Company resident playwright Julie Jensen. Young Wendy Burger deals with living in a UPS truck, acting in a school play and learning from mysterious new friends and mentors. Tickets are $20, available online at pygmalionproductions.org.

The Other Mozart

Utah Presents

Feb. 22-23

Did you know Mozart had a sister? Nannerl Mozart was a renowned composer and musician whose story has been forgotten. Spend a night with Utah Presents remembering her and all the beautiful fashions of her time. Tickets are $5 with a U student ID.

Modern Senior Concert 1

School of Dance

Feb. 28 – March 2

This year, the graduating seniors in the Modern Dance program will be featured in a final performance showcasing their individual talents. Tickets are free with a U student ID.