Utah Flies Past Oregon State in Final Home Meet

Curtis Lin
Utah Men and Women’s Swim and Dive Take on the Stanford Cardinals at the Ute Natatorium in Salt Lake City, UT on Friday, Oct. 20, 2017. (Photo by Curtis Lin/ Daily Utah Chronicle)

In their final home meet of the regular season, the University of Utah women’s swim team hosted Oregon State University in a one day meet.

The Utes walked away victorious in every event that they competed in during the day, with a final score of 173-85. Five seniors were honored as they swam in the Ute Natatorium for the last time.

Four of the five seniors swam the final race of the day, which was the 200 free relay. Darby Wayner, Gillian St. John, Ianire Casarin and Jordan Anderson won the event with a time of 1:35.67.

Wayner had a standout day in the meet as she swam the 100 breast in 1:02.73. This time is a pool record. She also walked away victorious from the 200 breast with a time of 2:18.73.

Fellow seniors Anderson and St. John also won individual events. Anderson took the 200 fly in 2:05.23, and St. John walked away with the 50 free with a time of 23.64.

Genny Robertson, the fifth senior, teamed up with three other teammates to take the first win of the day in the 200 medley relay.  

“I thought it was a great day for all five seniors,” said head coach Joe Dykstra. “Darby set a pool record, Jordan swam her fly events and then got back on the blocks to anchor that all-senior relay to win by one-hundredth of a second, Ianire and Gillian put up solid times and Genny, coming back from her injury, was able to compete in a winning relay. These are memories that they will carry with them for their whole lives. I also want to thank our fans for their support and the amazing turnout today.”

Six other Utes took home individual victories throughout the day as well, and the team was very successful in taking down the Beavers.  

“We were a lot sharper today than two weeks ago against BYU,” Dykstra said to Utah Athletics. “We finished races, turns were a lot crisper and out underwaters had more energy. We are training hard for Pac-12 Championships and now we are working on getting faster. We have another big test next weekend at WSU and so now we will get rested and ready to go.”

Utah swim and dive will return with the men’s swimmers closing out their season in Los Angeles on Saturday, Feb. 23, and both diving teams will rest until the Pac-12 Championships which will begin on Wednesday, Mar. 6 in Federal Way, Washington.

The women’s team will make their final regular-season appearance next Saturday, Feb. 16 against Washington State University. The meet will be held in Pullman, Washington and it will begin at 11 a.m. in Gibb Pool.

@CaseyOverfield