The U’s Ranking Among the Best Graduate Schools

Jose Rems
Spencer Fox Eccles business building (SFEBB) at University of Utah in Salt Lake City | Chronicle archives.

Every year, the U.S. News & World Report releases its rankings of the best colleges nationally. Not every program is ranked yearly, but those that are ranked on a yearly basis are programs from business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing. The list’s purpose is to connect prospective students to top graduate schools and programs.

The programs that were ranked from the David Eccles School of Business were Entrepreneurship at 17th place, Full-time MBA at 54th, Health Care Management at 43rd and a Part-time MBA program at 44th.

The College of Social Work was ranked 44th overall. The College of Education is at 64th. Public Affairs moved up to 68th.

The programs at the School of Medicine that were ranked were Medical Primary Care at 21st, Medical Research at 38th, Physician Assistant at fourth and Public Health at 89th.

The College of Nursing programs ranked were Doctor of Nursing practice at 21st, Masters of Nursing at 30th and Nursing Informatics at sixth.

College of Engineering is now ranked at 55th place. Biomedical engineering sits at 38th. Chemical engineering is at 56th and Civil engineering is at 65th. Computer engineering ranks 49th. Electrical or electronic communications engineering comes in at 62nd. Materials engineering is 57th. Mechanical engineering comes in at 65th.

The S.J. Quinney College of Law is ranked at 47th place overall, with Environmental Law at eighth, and for the first time, Health Law made the ranking, sitting at 36th place.

The rankings are formed by the U.S. News and World Report, as worded in an article from @theU, “based on a number of factors including expert opinions about program excellence and statistical indicators that measure the quality of a university’s students, faculty and research.”

The University of Utah ranked in many of the specialties and categories, which could potentially persuade prospective students to attend the U.

Vanessa Henshaw has recently accepted a place at the U’s pharmacy school in the Fall of 2019. The pharmacy program was not one that was ranked this year but it currently sits at 17th in the nation. When asked why she chose the U, she said, “Their rankings and where they stand in education was a huge pull on me that made me choose them as the graduate school I wanted to attend.”

“Luckily for me, the U was my first interview of five and the first to tell me that I was accepted,” Henshaw added. “I wouldn’t have been able to get as high of a quality education elsewhere.”

When asked if the high ranking of the pharmacy school motivated her to work harder, she said, “I think the ranking makes me nervous, but in a good way because I know it will be rigorous but so worth it.”

@kate_lyn_noel