Film student shares passion

Candida Duran, a film major, won a Rocky Mountain Emmy for a film she made titled "Navigating Freedom." //Courtesy Candida Duran
Candida Duran, a film major, won a Rocky Mountain Emmy for a film she made titled “Navigating Freedom.” //Courtesy Candida Duran

If you walk over to the film lab to check out equipment, chances are you’ll see Candida Duran. Along with her status as lab employee, Duran is also a student majoring in film with an emphasis in production. On top of the heavy load of film courses, she strives for a minor in theater.  When it comes down to it, Duran’s life is all about movies. From acting to producing, moviemaking drives this student.
Even though she’s been doing film work since she started attending class at the U, her interest began years ago when she watched the documentary “New York Doll,” the tale of New York Doll’s bassist Arthur Kane. The film lays out the band member’s separation from the group and music industry. Finally, Kane’s journey takes him back to his core principle, making music for New York Dolls.
“After that, I started watching other documentaries like ‘Lords of Dogtown,’ ” Duran said. “Stacy Peralta is my favorite filmmaker.”
The realism and personal stories in “Lords of Dogtown,” “New York Doll” and similar documentaries attracted Duran to filmmaking. However, her film pursuits are not directed toward the documentary genre.
“When it comes to documentary, I’m not a big fan, nor do I want to make a film about global social problems. I want to focus on people, and their personal stories. Fly-on-the-wall sort of looks,” Duran said.  “I relate to realism, more [than] your everyday type of film. That’s why I like theater so much, most of what I see in theater is more realistic, because there is a limit to the special effects you can do. I want to make films in that same way. No aliens — let’s keep it with humans.”
Duran has certainly been wasting no time at the U. Just last year she helped put together the second annual Domino Mexican Independent Film Festival. They managed to bring in four filmmakers who held a meet and greet. The festival also screened movies on campus and at the Broadway Centre Theatre. She is returning again this year to help run the festival’s third program.
Aside from her work at the U, Duran received a Rocky Mountain Emmy in the category of Student Long Form for her creation “Navigating Freedom.” The movie, fashioned with Spyhop and KUED, aired on “12 News Today.”
Duran has built up a great love for the film department, from its structure to the availability of classes for different specialties.
“What I like about the film program is that it’s not as structured. When you look at the theater department, when you choose what you want to do, they have it all outlined for you,” Duran said when describing what she likes about the film program. “With film, after the core classes, you can do what you want. There is a really great balance of theory and production, and the specificity of production classes is great.”
In addition to her respect for the film department, Duran holds a great appreciation for her job at the film lab.
“It’s pretty cool. Because I work here, I’ve gotten to know the professors without having taken a class from them. I know what’s going on in the department. [I am] very connected. You get to know who the students are, what’s in production, who the professors are as well as guest lectures and screenings,” Duran said.
Because of the variety of classes and the opportunities in the program, Duran has decided to stay another year so she can finish all production classes — credit hours are not her concern. Duran hopes she has left a lasting impression on her peers and mentors at the U.
“Get to know your department, it’s very beneficial. Get to know the chair and the instructors. It will help you,” Duran said as a piece of advice to students looking to achieve success within their major.

• L

LaurieSep 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Right on, Candida! So proud of you!

• L

LaurieSep 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Right on, Candida! So proud of you!