Football: Defensive Players Rally Around Each Other

Utah has made a reputation based on solid performances from the defensive side each year, whereas the offensive side has had its fair share of obstacles. This year appears to be no different from a defensive standpoint. In preparation for the 2015 season, the defense has remained afloat throughout practice and become a staple for Utah’s play.

“Defense is always going to be ahead, but the offense has caught up,” said head coach Kyle Whittingham. “Offense is all about execution, and it takes longer for the offense to sync than the defense.”

One aspect the defense has that adds to its talent is its depth. Filipo Mokofisi is battling for a starting position and is currently listed atop the depth chart at right tackle. As a sophomore, he is transitioning to more of a veteran role on the team. He found his rhythm through practices during fall camp, and these practices also helped him adjust to the toll it will take on his body.

Mokofisi has been utilizing his time in the weight room to remain an effective contributor on the defensive line — gaining 60 pounds this year, compared to only 15 pounds last year — and becoming a faster athlete in general.

Mokofisi finds the camaraderie of his teammates a huge benefit to the chemistry they have and thinks this affects their performance.

“As a D-line, this is our second year with most of these guys; we [only] lost two to three guys last year,” said Mokofisi. “We like to joke around with each other and compete. I get excited when I think about our fans also — when our fans get excited, that gets us excited.”

Hunter Dimick, a junior this year, has spent plenty of time with this defense. He is able to understand its dynamics, as well as what is expected from him.

“I just try to work hard and set an example, on and off the field,” said Dimick. “This is my fourth year in the program, so I know how we are going to run our defense. I try to help some of these younger guys as well.”

Through Dimick’s example, his teammates continue to buoy up one another. This motivates the players to work hard and prepare for their upcoming season.

“I just try to get everybody hyped up,” said Dimick. “Everyone needs to play hard and fast.”