Why You (Freshmen) Should Be Living on Campus

The first year of college is always the hardest. Students have to adjust to new expectations, more demanding classes and an integration into a new community. Although this may be easy for some people, it’s far harder for those who aren’t social butterflies or are shy. A good way to ease the transition is to stay in the dorms for their freshman year.

Staying in the dorms allows people to become part of a close-knit community that contains a wide variety of people. The diversity ensures there will be people with many interests and of many backgrounds and increases the likelihood that people will be able to find someone they can really connect with. It also helps that freshmen are given the opportunity to select other freshmen as their roommates. For individuals who opt to be paired with another freshman, they will have even more in common with their roommate. Both will be navigating the risks and challenges of college for the first time.

dorms 3

While some may fear they will be paired with someone they can’t stand, those fears are often unfounded. The U has several systems in place to ensure that roommates can get along well, including a survey that generates a list of people who answered questions similarly. Students also have the option to communicate with their selected roommate via email to make sure they are compatible. Students who are motivated to find a roommate they like are given ample tools to accomplish that goal. Although this system is not foolproof, it usually works well, giving the vast majority of students a roommate they enjoy hanging out with.

Something else that makes dorm roommates such good friends is the experience they share as a result of living together. While sharing space may seem like a hassle, it also allows people to experience and gripe about the same events or to participate in pranks and jokes. The challenges and trials roommates face together make the bond they share something special. There are very few other places where people get that type of exposure and ability to interact with others.

Another reason for living in the dorms is the convenience. Unlike students who commute to school, students who live on-campus can travel to many of the city and campus facilities by walking or using TRAX. This allows them to spend time doing other things, such as hanging out or just having fun. As a student who travels to and from school on a bike, I can say that on average I spend about 50 minutes to an hour traveling to and from school. Having an extra 15 minutes to spend doing homework or socializing during the week might not seem like much to some people, but it adds up. Compared with students who spend upwards of an hour traveling on weekdays, students who stayed on campus would have an extra hour and 15 minutes of free time. That’s a pretty big chunk of time.

Although staying in the dorms may be expensive, it is worth it for freshman year. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. If students can realistically afford it without breaking their bank, they should take the opportunity to stay in the dorms for at least their freshman year. There is no other environment on campus that offers that many opportunities to form connections with others.