Great Debate: What’s More Exciting: Gameday Coming to SLC, or the Game Itself?

GameDay festivities will be more exciting than the game itself

Brock Jensen

Alright, we’ve been waiting for and wanting an opportunity for ESPN’s College GameDay to come back to Rice-Eccles Stadium, and now we’ve got it. ESPN will bring its set and its well-known analysts, including Lee Corso, out west for the Utah-Cal game this Saturday.

It’s going to be one exciting weekend of fun.

CollegeGameDay4.jpg

After another week of top-ranked teams falling, the undefeated Utes now find themselves ranked No. 5 and will host No. 23 Cal — which is also undefeated.

This game is a great chance to make the national spotlight this weekend. Both teams have yet to lose a game. In fact, these two teams are the only ones in the Pac-12 that enter week six of the season unblemished.

The situation seemed like the right one for GameDay to feature, and now the MUSS, along with the rest of the student population, have the great privilege of enjoying all the fun and festivities that go along with GameDay coming to Salt Lake City.

Yes, the game will be fun, but how about all of the buzz that will be going on around campus this week up until kickoff on Saturday? Let the creative sign-making begin! The most obvious part of GameDay’s presence is the pregame show with the desk of analysts commentating on the events of that day and also discussing the two teams featured in the game later that night. Students and fans fill up the background of the TV set with crazy signs, props and whatever else they can come up with. There is plenty of face time to go around.

The most well-known part of that entire show comes when the forever-young-at-heart Corso makes his pick on the game. Who doesn’t love seeing an old guy put on a mascot’s head? This, combined with all the other fun segments that GameDay has to offer, is why it is the best thing to look forward to this Saturday. It’s a unique event because only one game gets selected, and having it not only feature your school’s game, but be at you home stadium makes it very exciting.

Oh, and this is all in addition to the normal tailgating and festivities that already occur for a Utah home game.

It’s obvious that there’s already a buzz on the campus. It’s great that we have some national attention heading this way. I was able to attend College GameDay the last time it was here for the game against TCU. Obviously, that game isn’t one that Ute fans want to remember much.

But what I remember from that experience was just how fun it was to be involved in all the filming and things involved with the GameDay set. It is an experience that I’m excited to have again.

So yes, look forward to the game, but there are still plenty of exciting games after this one. We don’t know when GameDay will return, however, and that’s why all Ute fans should be thrilled for the ESPN crew to come here this week.

@brock_jensen02

The Utah-Cal game is going to be unforgettable

Gage Hanson

You can feel a sense of anticipation in the air all around campus. Even the most casual sports fan will be talking about it. Some fans are even preparing to camp out at Presidents Circle just to be a part of it.

Almost everyone knows College GameDay is coming to Salt Lake City, and this will be the first time it has visited since TCU came to town in 2010. While the visit by ESPN’s flagship college football program will be exciting and the pregame festivities are going to be something you won’t want to miss, the real excitement comes from the biggest event of the day — the game itself.

There is nothing more exciting than a game that means something, and when those players step onto the field on Saturday night, they will be fighting for something bigger than they could have ever imagined. The nation’s eyes will be on Utah as the Utes try to keep their perfect record alive. Under the lights of the national stage, these players will bring out their best and these are the games that bring the most energy to the crowd. Rice-Eccles Stadium will undoubtedly be roaring for the entire night.

In my time as a sports fan, I have found that these are the games that are the most memorable to be a part of. As a fan, you know the entire nation will be watching along with you. You watch the players play every down as if it is their last, and you can’t but help feel your blood pump in excitement. You find it impossible to stay seated when your team breaks off a big run or makes a big stop on third down. But with games of this proportion, fans don’t stay quiet for anything.

A three-yard gain on first down? The stadium will roar with excitement.

A solid tackle on defense after a five-yard gain by the opponent? The fans will be cheering their hearts out.

There is nothing that beats this feeling. The sense of unity during games of this magnitude is something you won’t be able to find many other places.

Earlier in the day, as fans try to get their signs featured in the background of the GameDay broadcast or as small groups get together for a tailgate barbecue, there is still a sense of separation, but as soon as you step into that stadium before the game, you become part of something bigger.

Every fan in that audience knows the importance of this game. ESPN wouldn’t show up for a menial contest between two unimportant teams, and they will all be unified in their experience as they cheer on the Utes. This unbreakable bond can’t be found in the pit for College GameDay, it can’t be found at the tailgates and it can’t be found at the pre-game parties.

This feeling is only something that can be felt once that first whistle sounds and the kickoff starts the game. That is something that I wouldn’t pass up for the world.

The GameDay pre-game show and tailgate parties will be a blast, there is no arguing that, but the game against Cal itself will top all of these in terms of excitement and energy.

Whether you are watching from inside Rice-Eccles Stadium or on TV at a party, this game will blow all of the other events out of the water. The energy will be electric from both the fans and the players.

@twelvegage96