On the Other Sideline: Catching up with The Daily Californian

As the Utah football team prepares to take its home field for the first time in three weeks against Cal, The Utah Chronicle had the opportunity to talk with Alaina Getzenberg, the football beat writer of The Daily Californian to get her thoughts on the upcoming top 25 matchup.

After a close call against Washington State, what does Cal need to work on this week?

The biggest areas that Cal needs to work on is improving their running game, especially in short distances. This should be helped by the full return of running back Daniel Lasco after being out and seeing limited play time this past week against Washington. Another area that needs improvement is clearly the defense. They have struggled in getting pressure at times, however have been able to get turnovers. Endurance will be crucial this week against Utah.

What has Cal struggled with the most this season?

Cal has struggled with winning games completely. They have only won one game decisively and have had to rely on last-minute plays.

What/who is going to be Cal’s biggest threat against the Utes?

Cal’s biggest threat will be Jared Goff. No question about it — if he can be at his best it gives them a chance every game.

What exactly about Goff’s game will give the Utah defense trouble?

Goff’s ability to pass under pressure and keep his poise. Also, his passing abilities, including getting balls in tough places.

What/who will Cal struggle with the most on the Utes’ side on Saturday night?

The Bears will most likely have a hard time against the Utah defense, just in getting enough production and being able to score enough points.

How do you think Cal’s defense will stack up against the Utah offense?

The success of the defense will depend on whether or not they can get pressure and/or turnovers.

With College GameDay being in Salt Lake for the game, does this motivate the Bears at all?

I would assume being in the national spotlight puts more pressure on the team, but I’m not sure I can answer this one for them.

What does Cal have to prove, if anything, against Utah?

Not sure that Cal has anything to prove in particular, if anything that they belong in the top-25, maybe, but it will just be a test if they are a legitimate threat in the Pac-12.

If Cal were to win the game, what do you think would be the reason why?

If Cal wins, they will have gotten a fair amount of turnovers and Goff has to have a tremendous day.

Which team do you think will come out on top in the end?

AG: My score prediction is Utah — 42, Cal — 30. I just don’t see Cal being able to pull this one out with the way they have been playing against lesser opponents.

@kbrenneisen