Students Should be Stoked to Participate in Homecoming Events

I was pretty shocked while reading the article “Homecoming: Students Say, ‘Meh…’ ” published by The Utah Chronicle earlier this week. For those of you who missed it, more than half of the students surveyed on The Daily Utah Chronicle website expressed a serious lack of enthusiasm about Homecoming Week. This Homecoming Week is one of the biggest the U has hosted in a long time. ESPN has deemed our Homecoming game one of the most anticipated football games of the week and will be covering it during College GameDay. Our football team has a little extra confidence facing Cal on Saturday, probably because they are the first team since 1985 to score 62 points against Oregon, according to USA Today. Even if you are not a fan of football, Homecoming is vital for the U. Efforts made during Homecoming have increased funding for research, scholarships, construction and public programs on campus. Here’s how:

One of the main goals of Homecoming Week is to engage alumni. Graduates with degrees ranging from bachelor’s to doctorates are encouraged to participate in the festivities and support their alma mater, and this support is essential for campus success. To all the students who clicked “Meh…” for the online survey on Homecoming enthusiasm, please be thankful that alumni have higher excitement levels than “Meh…” regarding our campus, because their energy has helped fund the education of all students. During the “Together We Reach” campaign from 2006-2014, the U was able to fund $1.65 billion for a variety of campus improvements, such as library funding, scholarships, fellowships and research. According to the campaign website, alumni contributed $221 million and were the third-largest donor group throughout the nine years. Additionally, the Alumni Association funds more than 30 scholarships on campus, providing opportunities for both residents and out-of-state students, as well as graduates and undergraduates, to receive financial aid.

I am not saying every alumni that contributed to the $221 million in donations did so because they had an amazing experience during Homecoming Week. But research from UC Berkeley — pretend we are not playing them Saturday and view this information objectively, please — shows alumni are much more inclined to support their alma mater if they feel engaged with the university. One of the main reasons Cal graduates claimed they did not donate is because their relationship with the school ended upon graduating. This is why the Alumni Board has worked so hard to create an awesome Homecoming Week; the planned activities bring current students and alumni together, creating a stronger sense of community both on campus and off. There are special events for alumni, like the Emeritus Reunion, and joint events for both alumni and current students, like the football game on Saturday.

Though the football game is a central aspect of Homecoming Week, it is not the only big event taking place. If you would be absolutely miserable at the game on Saturday, then come to the 5k run in the morning — extra proceeds from the race go towards scholarship funds. Don’t worry if you are slow — it is just for fun. If good food and good company are more your scene, come to the Crimson Rally on Thursday night. Local restaurants provide free — yes, free — food to attendees. If you hate food and fun, take a walk down Greek Row or any of the other house decorating locations and check out the different retro displays. Every site chose a different interpretation of the theme “Throwback U,” and it is pretty hard to choose a favorite.

A lot of work has gone into these events, and they are all intended to rally student and alumni pride in our school. Now is probably the best time to be a proud Ute. Our athletics programs are excelling, our academics are consistently ranking higher every year and our student body is growing in size and diversity. I am a transfer student and it is amazing to me how many opportunities the U provides for its students. Different clubs, the Bennion Service Center, activities, research projects, dances, rallies, free food, farmers markets, jobs, tailgates, outdoor trips, free films — everything that allows students to apply their passions, become more accomplished and just have fun. These resources are not as accessible, or existent, on other campuses. All colleges are supposed to create well-rounded students, but I speak from experience when I say our university truly provides opportunities for students. Take advantage of it — we attend the best of the best.

Disclaimer: Katie Bezdjian is an active member of the Student Alumni Board, which works alongside U alumni to plan and prepare for campus events such as Homecoming.