U Allocates Funds to Support Education for Women

The U has launched a program to raise the percentage of women who receive degrees.

In 2012, only 28 percent of women in Utah received a bachelor’s degree — five percent less than men in Utah and one percent below the national average. The Women’s Enrollment Initiative wants to increase that number by making its goal to “recruit, retain and graduate women.”

Maeghan Peters, an undeclared freshman, works dilligently in the library plaza on campus on her homework, 8/26/15

In collaboration with the Women’s Resource Center, the organization hopes to create a support system by providing internships, mentorships and financial aid opportunities. Other resources include assisting in issues ranging from domestic abuse to financial management.

Julie Chanj, A student club w/ Cru person, Susanna Phinney, a senior in Nursing, Amy Bloch, a fresman in EAE, and Emily Hackworth, a junior in Music Performance, Sit in the Union building and talk about their third day here on campus, 8/26/15

Caren Frost, director of global social work in the U’s College of Social Work, said she thinks the program will help foster a healthy environment for women to complete their degrees.

Rachel Kershaw, a junior in Business, and Jessie Thomas, a junior in Business, Talk about their day before headed to class on campus, 8/26/15

“I think it will experience some growing pains, but overall it has a good chance of success,” Frost said. “The initiative opens doors to more resources and opportunities for women on campus.”

Women struggling to afford tuition and books can be connected to more than $220,000 in scholarships offered by the resource center. The Women’s Enrollment Initiative is working to expand the reserve and encourage attendance and graduation. Those thinking of leaving school because of financial stress can apply for emergency grants.

The initiative hopes to increase outreach to under-served populations on campus. Programs such as Go Girlz, which introduces female students in the Salt Lake City School District to higher education, and USTART, an organization that contributes to recruiting, will receive more attention through the program.

Students, like sophomore Saige Miller, anticipate seeing a change from the program.

“I think it’s really important to provide mentorship for women who want to graduate,” Miller said. “I think this program is the first step to seeing results in the bigger picture.”

For more information on the Women’s Enrollment Initiative, visit women.utah.edu.

@idothejohnwayne

like us on facebook