Job Board to Give Students Easy Access

Attention students who are homeless, jobless or just plain bored: The A. Ray Olpin University Union has new resources at your disposal.

Two new bulletin boards, both located in the north hallway of the union, post job listings and a plethora of other fliers. One, the Associated Students of the University of Utah job board, hangs right next door to the ASUU office. The union board is situated directly across from the Union Board Office.

The ASUU job board, created by the Office of Student Affairs and funded by ASUU, offers three options for those in search of jobs: Campus Research, Campus Health and General Campus.

The union board displays a wider array of contents, ranging from roommate-wanted ads to fliers for Planned Parenthood.

Chad Marriott, the student affairs office intern who developed the ASUU job board, said it plays a part in a larger plan to improve student involvement on campus.

?The idea came from Dean [of Students Stayner] Landward?If we make visible all the part-time jobs on campus, it will keep people on campus,? Marriott said.

The same basic idea was behind the Union Board, said Charles Milne, union board chairman.

?We wanted to draw more people down this hallway? There?s a lot going on here, and it?s a way to get people involved,? Milne said.

The ASUU job board features listings of part-time job openings across campus printed directly from the U Human Resources Web site, as well as a few additional fliers from sundry employers on campus. The printouts are updated approximately every other week.

In the plastic-covered slots below, HR job applications wait for the prospective jobseekers to arrive.

?It?s really useful to have the job applications there, because then people don?t have to go all the way over to Human Resources,? ASUU secretary Sara Stanley said.

Beneath the union board, two blocks of wooden shelves wait to be filled.

?We want to put stacks of general publications, such as the [Salt Lake] City Weekly, in them,? Milne said.

Currently, those publications are shelved next to the Union Services Desk. Milne said that area would become home to strictly campus-related information.

The union bulletin board itself is open to any and all. All one must do to post something is take it to the service desk to be validated, Milne said. Items remain up for three weeks.

There are also plans to post other bulletin boards around the union, he said.