Events

Feb. 13

Brigham Young University Professor Gerald Watt will speak on ?The Formation and Reaction of the All Ferrous Iron Protein [Fe4S4]-cluster During Nitrogenase Catalysis? at 10:45 a.m. in the Henry Eyring Building, Room 2006.

The Mortar Board Honor Society will collect new and used children?s books all week from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the A. Ray Olpin University Union. Prizes, including a tuition credit, will be awarded to the largest donations.

Karen Kwan-Smith, adviser for the Center for Ethnic Student Affairs, will speak on ?The Paradox of Activism in Asian American Culture? at noon in 293 union.

Wayne Frankel, a staff scientist from The Jackson Laboratory, will speak on ?Mutation Screens for Epilepsy and Other Neurological Disorders in Mice? at 4 p.m. in the Eccles Institute of Human Genetics auditorium.

Feb. 14

?A View From Washington,? an address by Georgie Anne Geyer, author and newspaper columnist, will be held at noon in 255 OSH.

Feb. 15

Kent Eden, manager of safety and human resources at CONSOL, will speak on ?Mining Operations and New Directions at CONSOL,? from 10:45 to 11:35 a.m. in the Engineering and Mines Classroom Building, Room 101.

?Studies of Protein Dynamics by Solution-State NMR Experiments,? a seminar by Mark Rance from the University of Cincinnati, will be held at 10:45 a.m. in the Eyring Building, Room 2006.

The department of medicinal chemistry will host two graduate student lectures, ?Electrophilic Prostoglandins and Proteasome Pathway Inhibition? by James Mullally and ?Methyl-CpG Binding Protein MBD2b Binding Studies? by Patti Champine, at 4 p.m. in L.S. Skaggs Hall, Room 316.

St. Catherine of Sienna Newman Center will host a praise and worship mass at 8 p.m.

Feb. 16

?Working Toward Governmental Reform: Highlights of Citizen Advocacy Efforts During the 2001 Utah Legislative Session,? a discussion with guests from the local community, will be held at 10:45 a.m. in 255 OSH.

The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence will lead a discussion on ?On-Line Teaching; Teachers Teaching in the Electronic Environment? from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Sterling W. Sill Center Large Conference Room.

The chemistry department will host a colloquium on ?Dendrimers: From Design to Applications,? by Jean Frechet from UC-Berkeley, at 2 p.m. in the Aline Wilmot Skaggs Biology Building, Room 220.

Brigitte Shim, principal of Shim Sutcliffe Architects, will lecture on the relationship between built work and the landscape, and on how site materials, craft and fabrication convey meaning at 5:30 p.m. in the Museum of Fine Arts auditorium.

Feb. 19

There will be no classes today in honor of Presidents? Day.

Feb. 21

?Are Utah and the Nation Headed for a Recession?? an address by Thayne Robson, director of economics and business research, will be held at noon in 255 OSH.

Feb. 22

Peter Seeburger from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will present ?Chemistry and Glycobiology: Development of an Automated Oligosaccharide Synthesizer? at 10:45 a.m. in the Eyring Building, Room 2006.

Khosrow Bakhtar, president of Bakhtar and Associates, will hold a seminar on ?Performance Assessment of Underground Munitions Storage Facilities? from 10:45 to 11:35 a.m. in 101 EMCB.

Feb. 23

In recognition of Japanese American internment-camp residents, there will be a Day of Remembrance display in the J. Willard Marriott Library third floor atrium. The display will be up through Friday, Feb. 23.

?American Foreign Policy Toward Iraq: An Eyewitness Account,? an address by Ewa Wasilewka from the anthropology department, will be held at 11:45 a.m. in 255 OSH.