Events

March 2

?American Policy Toward the Middle East: A Reassessment,? an address by Shibley Telhami from the University of Maryland, will be held at 11:50 a.m. in Orson Spencer Hall, Room 255.

?Creating Teaching Opportunities for Departments and Graduate Students,? a discussion with select departmental representatives, will be held from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Sill Center Large Conference Room.

The Heterodox Economics Student Association (HESA) will host a seminar on ?The Profit Rate-Interest Rate Relationship in the Writing of Karl Marx,? by Yavuz Yasar and Mark Lautaenheiser from the University of Minnesota-Duluth, at 1:30 p.m. in the Business Classroom Building, Room 306.

?Synoptic Regulation of the May 3, 1999 Southern Plains Tornado Outbreak,? a seminar by David Schultz from the National Severe Storms Laboratory in Oklahoma, will be held at 2:30 p.m. in Intermountain Network and Scientific Computing Center, Room 110.

As part of Women?s Week, the ASUU Coffeehouse series will host ?Women Poets,? an evening of open-mic poetry, at 8 p.m. in the A. Ray Olpin University Union Panorama Room.

March 4

Film Front will show ?The Funeral,? a Japanese film by director Juzo Itami, at 7 p.m. in the OSH auditorium.

March 5

The Hinckley Institute of Politics will host a debate between Associated Students of the University of Utah presidential and vice-presidential candidates at noon in 255 OSH.

Dr. Chung form Washington University of St. Louis Medical School will speak with interested premed students at 1 p.m. in the Aline Wilmot Skaggs Biology Building, Room 220.

Johnathan Weinberg from Rutgers University will speak on ?Conceptual Analysis and the Diversity of Intuitions? at 4 p.m. in 334 OSH.

Marc G. Caron from Duke University will lecture on ?G Protein-coupled Receptor Regulatory Mechanisms: Physiology and Pathophysiology,? at 4 p.m. in the Biomedical Polymers Research Building, Room 510.

March 7

Spencer Davis from Weber State University will speak on ?An Economy of Voluntary Simplicity? at 10:45 a.m. in 255 OSH.

Stuart Culver, associate professor of English, will give a lecture titled ?Henry James?s Slashed Portrait? at noon in Carlson Hall, Room 115.

March 8

Marilyn Hoffman will give a medical-school application workshop from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the James Talmage Building, Room 130.

March 10

A Coffeehouse Series open-mic poetry slam will be held at 8 p.m. in the union Panorama Room.