Campus Events

September 6

The School of Medicine is hosting an internal medicine grand rounds titled ?Acute Coronary Syndromes? at 7:45 a.m. in Classroom A.

The International Women?s Association is hosting a welcome and orientation activity from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Union 411.

The Hinckley Institute of Politics is hosting a book review of Olympic Dreams: The Impact of Mega-Events on Local Politics at noon at the institute.

The Alpha Epsilon Delta Pre-Med Honor Society is having its opening social with a free pizza lunch for all pre med students from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the foyer of the Skaggs Biology Building.

Martha Nussbaum will hold a discussion, ?Liberal Education in an Era of Global Connection? at noon in the Alumni House. She will speak again at 3:30 p.m. in the College of Law?s Borchard Conference Room on ?Inscribing the Face: Shame, Stigma and Punishment.? At 8:30 p.m. she will discuss ?The Future of Feminist Liberalism? in the Gould Auditorium of the Marriott Library.

The School of Business? Center for International Business Education and Research is hosting a lecture titled ?Common Misconceptions about International Business? at 12:25 p.m. in Room 105 of the C. Roland Christensen Center.

The Middle East Center Discussion Group is hosting a lecture titled ?The Figurative (majaz) in Islamic Legal Hermeneutics? at 4:15 p.m. in Room 255 of Orson Spencer Hall.

September 7

The Heterodox Economics Student Association is hosting a lecture titled ?The Effects of Income Inequality and Residential Segregation on Mortality in Metropolitan America: A Multilevel Analysis? at 1:30 p.m. in Room 306 of the Business Classroom Building.

The Utah Museum of Fine Arts Dumke Auditorium will host the National Forum: ?Feminism, Multiculturalism, and Group Rights? featuring nine international presenters, including Martha Nussbaum, from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

September 8

The Marriott Library?s Gould Auditorium will host the National Forum: ?Feminism, Multiculturalism, and Group Rights? featuring nine international presenters from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

September 9

The University Neuropsychiatric Institute will host the Gold Medal Kid?s Fair. The event will feature the Olympic mascots (Coal, Copper and Powder), an Olympic Short Course, ?Operalympics,? health displays and snacks from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

September 10

The Hinckley Institute of Politics is hosting a discussion titled “Japan and America Celebrate 50 years of Peace” at 8:35 a.m. at the institute.

The department of chemistry is hosting a lecture titled ?Understanding Anhydrous Protein Ions: Structures and Applications to Proteomics? at 4 p.m. in Room 2006 of the Henry Eyring Building.

September 11

The department of chemistry is hosting a lecture by Professor Eric Hegg at 10:45 a.m. in Room 2006 of the Eyring Building.

The Hinckley Institute of Politics is hosting an address by Chinese Ambassador to the United States Yang Jiechi titled “America, China and World Politics in the 21st Century” at 2 p.m. in the Fine Arts Museum.

September 12

Terra Firma is hosting a meeting at 3 p.m. in Union Parlor B.

September 13

The department of chemistry is hosting a presentation titled ?Chemoselective Ligations Within the Cellular Environment? at 10:45 a.m. in Room 2006 of the Eyring Building.

The department of mining engineering is hosting a lecture titled “Mining in Utah and the Regulatory Environment” at 11:50 a.m. in Room 707 of the Browning Building.

The Graduate School of Architecture is hosting a lecture titled “Innovations and Continuities in Iranian Architecture from 1000 BC to 1000 AD” at 4:30 p.m. in Room 127.

The Hinckley Institute of Politics is hosting a Deseret News Credibility Roundtable titled “Why Do We Do What We Do?” between 7 and 9 p.m. at the institute.

September 14

The department of chemistry is hosting a Student Choice Seminar titled ?Treating Nanoparticles as Molecules? at 2 p.m. in Room 2006 of the Eyring Building.

The Middle East Center is hosting the Ninth Reza Ali Khazeni Memorial Lecture in Iranian Studies titled ?Cyrus and Darius: New Light of the First Royal Architects of Achaemenid Iran? at 6:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Museum Auditorium.

The ASUU Presenter?s Office is hosting a night of art with jazz trio Stage Right, student artists Dan Kelp and Shana Kaufman, poetry performances by Salt Lake Slam Team members Brian Mehr and Chris Freckleton, as well as an open-mic poetry reading at 8 p.m. in the Union Panorama Room. Coffee and pastries will be provided.

September 19

The Hinckley Institute of Politics is hosting a discussion titled “Reducing Negativity in Campaigns” at 11:50 a.m. at the institute.