At California U, Bush Talks About Terrorism

By U Wire

SACRAMENTO, Calif.?The typical bustle of downtown Sacramento was replaced Wednesday by the concentrated presence of law enforcement and Secret Service personnel who were in place due to a visit from President George W. Bush at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium.

The streets remained empty for several blocks around the radius of the auditorium, with the exception of parked police cars and the sounds of protesters? chants and helicopter blades overhead.

Bush delivered a speech to a crowd primarily consisting of California economic organizations, including the California Business Roundtable, California Chamber of Commerce and the California Manufacturers and Technology Association.

During his speech to the largely business-oriented crowd, Bush focused mainly on the topic that has dominated American media since Sept. 11 and attempted to unite audience members around the cause of retaliation.

?We are fighting for the security of our people, for the success of our ideals and for the stability in large parts of the world,? Bush said. ?We fight evil people who are distorting and betraying a great religion to justify their murder. Our cause is just. We will not tire. We will not falter. And, my fellow Americans, we will not fail.?

Talk of war and defense turned to issues of money as Bush outlined America?s resources and assets in fighting an economic downturn and a war abroad.

More tax cuts for lower- and middle-income families were mentioned in the speech, as was ?reform? for the corporate income tax. Bush asked Congress to find a way ?to deduct more of the costs of new investments? in order to stimulate employment opportunities.

Despite Sept. 11 and the events that have since ensued, Bush did not fail to mention California?s continuing energy crisis.

?Too much of our energy comes from the Middle East,? Bush said. ?The plan I sent up to Congress promotes conservation, expands energy supplies, and improves the efficiency of our energy network.?

Bush continued to say that the energy issue is of relevance to the nation?s security and independence.

While Bush rallied the audience inside the auditorium, some supporters outside were echoing his patriotic statements in opposition to protesters.

Several groups of protesters confined to several small areas three and four blocks away decorated street corners surrounding the auditorium.

One protest, located at the corner of 12th and J Streets, pitted two groups of anti-war demonstrators against a small gathering of Bush supporters. Police officers at the scene kept the two camps on opposite corners of the intersection.

Davis resident and protester Aaron King joined several other Davis citizens in demonstrating against the American war effort in Afghanistan.

?It seems obvious that for every terrorist we kill and oppress in the Middle East, we?re only going to create more terrorists,? King said.

?This is a low-intensity war that has been going on for decades,? he continued. ?As long as we keep aggressing?we?re going to see more terrorist attacks.?

To UC Davis graduate student Gil Benmoshe, the United States is hypocritical in its business of selling military equipment to Afghanistan.

UCD junior Andy Prettol, who was protesting alongside King, disapproved of the way he and other protesters were treated at the event. He noted that officers corralled demonstrators into certain sections and refused to let them move closer to areas Bush might travel through.

While dozens of people demonstrated against American foreign policy on one side of the street, a handful of supporters on the other side attempted to contend with the shouts of their competitors.

?I see people going to fight for me and I praise God that they are not fighting for me here,? demonstrator Debbie Cook said. ?The people in those towers died for our freedoms. Within those buildings bunches of people died so I can stand here.?

Other Bush supporters were less enthusiastic about the efforts to retaliate against terrorist groups.

?When the people of the world want peace badly enough, their governments will give it to them,? Carol Sharbonneau of Grandmothers for Peace said. ?War is not the answer?We need to stop making weapons?and we need to stop killing.