Ute Runners Ready for Regional Meet

When coach Mike Jones left the University of Utah cross country team this past spring after 22 years, the prevailing sentiment was this would be a rebuilding season, and the Utes would be a team with one runner trying to carry most of the load.

And while Teren Jameson has been the dominant force driving the Utes, he’s hardly been alone.

The Utes surprised the conference with a good season, as they finished third in the men’s and fourth in the women’s competition at the MWC Championships. The great year has produced a top-25 ranking for the men.

“Everyone is excited, and it has been a pleasant surprise to see a team that has a new coaching staff being ranked,” Ute coach Brian Appell said.

Both squads will now head down to Provo to compete in the Mountain Region Championships this weekend to see who will qualify for the upcoming National Championships.

Elise Greenwood, Trina Bateman and Tara Hall will attempt to lead the women’s squad to a bid in the NCAA Championships. The women will face stiff competition, as BYU and Colorado State are the best two women’s squad in the MWC, and BYU has the best women’s squad in the nation.

Meanwhile, Jameson will attempt to help his team qualify for the championships, but if the Utes do not collectively qualify, then he has to finish in the top four in order to earn a solo invitation to the NCAA Championships.

He did that last year and eventually finished 38th at NCAAs and earned All?America status.

The Utes have a solid team heading into the Mountain Region Championships, and the men’s team especially has the ability to qualify the entire team.