Letter to the Editor: Drop Golf, Put in A Park

By Amber Thunell, Mary Northway and Ed Harman

We have driven by it, walked around it, looked at its vacancy and laughed at its pitiful example of America’s most relaxing sport.

If your name is Tiger Woods, you might possibly spend your time here, collect your income here and pick up on the ladies here. If you are a student at the U, you either play here or you don’t. The question is, does the golf course call out your name as you drift into dreams of midterms and the paper you forgot to turn in?

With pitted grass and slow greens, a minuscule pack of white haired, golfing has-beens flock to offer up a few bucks, a few cuss words and another bad game of golf.

Do we somehow resemble a retirement home or a country club?

Although our tuition hikes may make us think so, we are simply a university with standard university needs.

According to a survey we conducted among students and faculty, 27 percent of those actually use the golf course. With this information at hand, an even bigger question arises.

Although we understand the need for more parking and buildings for higher education, including grants and support for research that will follow, this place we call our university is drastically becoming a concrete jungle.

We have the buildings, we have the space, but we don’t use it efficiently. Right now we have the opportunity to solve that and so much more. The students and faculty finally have the chance to become involved in a major decision other than voting for the Associated Students of the University of Utah presidency.

With nine holes, we have enough space for more parking and a place where students, faculty and the community can go to get away from the daily grind and stress that so easily consumes us. What about a place where families and patients from the hospitals can go to be inspired to move forward’? What about a place with study areas, covered benches, shade trees, running trails, children’s playgrounds, community gardens and so much more.

Think of a place filled with solace and adventure; a place for growth, reflection and simplicity. If we don’t act now, we may lose the opportunity to create a place.

Amber Thunell, Senior, Modern Dance

Mary Northway, Senior, Modern Dance

Ed Harman, Senior, Behavioral Science and Health