Track and Field, Golf Teams Get Weekend Action

The U track and field team has had success throughout the meets it has competed in, and the team will now head to three different tournaments this weekend.

A few of the elite runners will head to the Pomona Pitzer Invitational, while some of the other runners will head to the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calif. However, most of the team will head up to Logan to compete in the Utah State Invitational.

The men’s and women’s team got five firsts at the Azusa Pacific Meet of Champions and the San Diego State Invitational last week. The Utes have run very well in all the meets it has competed in, and they need to continue their success to have enough momentum going into the Mountain West Conference Championships.

The runners that have been placing at high positions on a consistent basis have been Teren Jameson, Nephi Tyler, Trina Bateman, Autumn Smith, April Jackson and Brook LoBue.

?AK

Golf

Fresh off its success at the Thunderbird Invitational, the Utah golf team will head to Provo to compete in the Cougar Classic, hosted by Brigham Young University, today and Saturday.

The U golfers finished fourth at the Phoenix, Ariz., tourney with a three-round score of 870, 6-over par. It is the first time the Utes have finished in the top-10 this season.

Freshman Ashdon Woods led the Utes by finishing in fourth place with a 5-under, 211 score. He finished the first round at 4-under, struggled in the second, with a 5-over par finish, but bounced back with a 6-under, 66 in the final round.

Sophomore Luke Swilor joined Woods in the top-10, as he finished tied for seventh at 2 under par, 214.

Paul Winterowd and Nicholas Summers tied for 40th place with an 8-over par, 224 score. Nick Micek tied for 76th place, with a 19-over par, 235 score.

After the BYU tournament this weekend, Utah heads to Sunriver, Ore., to compete in the Mountain West Conference Tournament from April 29 through May 1.

-LG