Questioning Everything: An Ancient Practice is Alive and Well

By David Read

The Greek philosopher Socrates badgered people with questions. He captivated the minds of the idle youth by asking about justice, innate ideas and the ideal state. But he aroused suspicion and, as a result, was put to death by placidly drinking a cup of hemlock.

Nearly 2,500 years later, Socrates is still remembered for his systematic questioning and demand to live an examined life. His legacy lives on in U classrooms in the form of the Socratic method.

This method may arguably be the most effective style of teaching since his time.

Socrates’ habitual questioning opened up new horizons before his pupils’ eyes. Through the extraordinary writings of Plato and Xenophon, Socrates’ style of teaching remains alive.

Although no two professors will probably be found conducting their classes the same way, many will use their own variation of the Socratic method.

After a student has responded to a question, a professor scrutinizes the student’s statement. This brings out important, difficult or ambiguous aspects of the class discussion.

“This is a great opportunity to challenge students to foster critical thinking,” says Marcie Goodman, a sociology professor, who maintains brimming classes of at least 55 students the entire semester. “Too often students fall victim of the funnel syndrome. They are willing to accept anything and everything that professors and textbooks teach. Some students drill holes in the top of their heads, stick a funnel in it and then say ‘fill me up.’

“However, the Socratic Method makes it possible for students to become disciplined in the way they think and helps them to establish their own values.”

It may be demanding, but some students, like Rob Stephensen, one of Goodman’s sociology students, appreciate this style of teaching.

“[Goodman] is a whiz at using students’ responses as a springboard, plunging the whole class into a deeper understanding of the subject at hand,” he says. “She loves teaching and has a tremendous talent in motivating interest in a subject by establishing its relevance to students’ lives and personal interests.”

Some universities nationwide use it exclusively. For example, the teaching in classes at Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula, Calif., is completely Socratic in method, helping U.S. News & World Report rank Thomas Aquinas as a “Best Value” among the nation’s liberal arts colleges in recent years.

At the U, use of the Socratic Method is confined to certain programs.

“It may not be as effective in math and the sciences as it is in the humanities, but it is very effective in law,” explained Chad Duram, a student in his final year at the U’s law school. In his program, it is common practice for a professor to call upon a student to explain in a clear and concise manner the details of the case.

“This demands you to read the material beforehand so you are prepared to participate,” Duram explained. “No one wants to be caught empty-handed.”

Brad Gale, a graduating communication major, reflects upon how professors make a difference by using the Socratic method. He says, “A professor who uses class discussion as a means of teaching, even though at first it may be intimidating, makes you think. And ultimately, you get your money’s worth and mind’s worth.”

In her classes, Goodman estimates “that nine out of 10 students like the Socratic method.”

The rest she describes as “social loafers,” the typical undergraduate who sits and hopes for nothing more than a passing grade and a few hours of credit. For these students, class can be a mind- numbing experience and professors must go the extra mile to generate interest in a subject.

Political Science Professor William Pingree, motivates “social loafers” by involving them in active learning. “Students who generally are more active will learn more and will be more likely to retain what they have learned,” he explained.

Class discussion can also have down sides.

Pierre Alley, a pre-dentistry student and veteran of many classes taught in the Socratic tradition, explains, “There is nothing worse than listening to a student who arrives to class early in order to nestle himself into the front row, and then, turns what should be a good spirited debate into a winner take-all contest.”

After observing many classroom discussions, Alley has devised some rules.

“One is to do your best at explaining your vision of what is being discussed and try to learn as much as possible from the exchange of the discussion. Another rule, egos must be checked at the classroom door. There is no need to be offended or embarrassed. Professors are doing their job by scrutinizing arguments and logical errors, not personal flaws.” According to Alley, “Camaraderie should be the watchword of a class that is conducted by Socratic teaching.”

So don’t heckle your colleagues or act as if you are some superior paragon of knowledge. Why? Because you may be next!

The Socratic method at first may seem a challenging and indirect method of learning. However, it confirms that obtaining an answer to a problem is important, but not half as important as the process of getting the answer. So, for those who want to model an inquisitive mind like Socrates cultivated in his students, keep probing the subject at hand with questions.