Letter to the Editor: Let Boy Scouts Make Up Their Own Minds

By David Sundwall

In his Nov. 12 “No Offense” column, headlined, “Boy Scouts Teach Discrimination to America’s Youth,” Adam Benson seemed offended that like-minded people would wish to privately associate and promote common values at no harm to others. While inexplicably claiming the Boy Scouts “choose to view the world from high atop a soapbox,” Benson jumped up on his own soapbox and said he can’t understand why everyone can’t see the world as he does. He seems to prefer a society where moral standards are decided by the lowest common denominator and all would be forced to say “No Offense.”

Benson completely disregards the First Amendment, which gives us the right of assembly. This has protected the Boy Scouts as well as many other private organizations that Benson surely prefers. Would Benson like The Chronicle to be forced to hire an editor who shuns journalistic ethics? Should the NAACP be compelled to let the KKK be eligible to be their members and leaders? Of course not.

Maybe someday Benson will understand that people who repudiate the core values of any organization while insisting they should be eligible to lead it only seek to impose their personal agenda at the expense of the organization’s goals.

But Boy Scouts of America is obligated to enforce values when a member openly promotes a contrary agenda.

The Boy Scouts do not judge Benson, why can’t he return the favor?

David Sundwall

Third Year Law Student