Baseball Canceled Vs. SUU, Plays at New Mexico Next

By Jeremy Goldsmith

The final game of a three-game series between the Utah and Southern Utah baseball teams was canceled on Tuesday due to rain and snow in Cedar City.

The Utes and T-birds split a doubleheader on Monday, with Utah taking the first game 4-2 and Southern Utah winning the nightcap 8-4 after the Utes a 4-3 lead in the eighth inning. Before the split, the Utes had lost three of four games.

Utah will head to New Mexico this weekend for another three-game series as conference play winds down. Los Lobos stand at 27-17 overall, 10-8 in the Mountain West.

New Mexico got the best of the Utes in a series played earlier this year when the Lobos took two of three from the Utes in Salt Lake City.

The Utes have 12 games left on their schedule before the conference tournament in Albuquerque, N.M., on May 21-24.

After this weekend, Utah will close out Mountain West play with series against BYU, Air Force and UNLV.

Utah’s record is currently 19-21 overall and 6-11 in the MWC.

“We are hoping the team will get on a roll,” U coach Tim Esmay said in a recent statement.

“Hopefully we can get our guys to be consistent day-in and day-out and finish the season strong. ”