Making the most of our college experience

By Steven Tingey

Located on the upper bench of the Wasatch Mountains in the northeast part of the Salt Lake Valley is an institution of higher education-the University of Utah. Founded in 1850, the U is now a campus of more than 28,000 students. These students come from all parts of the world and represent many types of religious faith, race, color and culture.

While circumstances and background vary greatly for each student, with few exceptions, college is an experience that brings about tremendous personal change and growth.

It is during the college career that many major life-altering decisions are made. Students must choose a field of study and pursue an occupation. They must choose what kind of grades they want to achieve and the amount of hours they will be employed. Many students find a spouse during their time in college. One decision, as trivial as it may seem, that each student must make during their time in college is how involved they will choose to become on campus, the consequences of which are often underestimated.

The success of a university not only depends on the effectiveness of faculty and administration, but also upon the students who are enrolled therein. Just as citizens have an obligation to their country, students have an obligation to their school. Each student attending the U is a member of the Associated Students of the University of Utah, the student body governed by a group of elected and appointed student officers.

As members of ASUU, the students themselves have the privilege of maintaining the school constitution. They can influence changes in school policy through the correct procedures and by way of the school Senate and General Assembly. Within ASUU, there also exists a great number of student groups and organizations, most of which provide opportunities for service, social activities and the chance to develop essential leadership skills that will prepare students for the future.

While life may seem too busy at times, choosing to be involved on campus will greatly enhance the enjoyment of one’s college experience.

As with any other endeavor, campus involvement brings with it its own set of challenges that often discourage students from becoming involved. During their first year in college, new freshmen may feel overwhelmed with their surroundings. Perhaps it is their first time away from home, or maybe they have not become well-acquainted with their new roommates or with a group of friends. Any of these situations could scare a student away from pro-actively stepping forward and getting involved.

Oftentimes a lack of information is the cause of one not being involved. Each year, hundreds of students come and go without the slightest idea of how to be involved, even though they may have been more than willing to do so.

Another obstacle that hinders involvement on campus, especially at the U, is the fact that it is such a commuter school. With so many students living off campus, it is easy to go to class, go straight to work and then home for the day. Many of the well planned, school-sponsored dances and activities are not well attended because of a lack of effort to attend. Even our own sports teams are lacking support. What many do not realize as they make this decision not to be involved is that it not only affects them and their own college experience, but it also influences the experience that others will have.

Other challenges that detract from student involvement, and school unity as a whole, are the needless barriers between culture, race, religion and other areas of discrimination. These areas of discrimination are intimidating at times. They are barriers that need to be brought down and should never be the cause of a lack of campus involvement or unity. Our diversity should be respected, not avoided.

College life should be a time of excitement and activity. It should be a time to remember. If ever a student feels discontented with his or her time in college, or simply can’t tolerate college life, perhaps his solution is to become more involved. There are enough opportunities provided on campus that students should never feel that there isn’t a place for them to get involved.

Whether it is through sporting events, student government, attending campus-sponsored activities, service projects or being involved in other student groups, clubs or organizations, campus involvement is an extremely important part of our time here at college. Equal to the extensive learning that is done inside the classroom, an incredible amount of learning can be done outside the classroom, which will create a much more enjoyable college experience for a person individually, as well as for those around him or her.

As president of the Student Council at the Institute of Religion, I encourage all students to become broadly involved within the campus community and extend an invitation for you to join us at the Institute of Religion.

Send letters to the editor to: [email protected]