Soccer goes 2-0, topples No. 17 Michigan

By Mathew Ouellette

As the Utah women’s soccer team walked off the field Sunday, a familiar chorus echoed from the PA, “Sorry Ms. Jackson…I am for real.” It may have been planned or it may have been a coincidence, but it was certainly as much a statement as the team’s weekend performances.

In two games, the Ute offense dominated, scoring seven goals and applying tremendous pressure that kept both Colgate and No. 17 Michigan Wolverines on their heels. Coupled with solid defensive play from previously untested freshmen, the Utes verified the Outkast sentiment with two victories-they are for real.

Beginning the season ranked No. 1 in the MWC, the Utes had to prove they belonged ahead of BYU, who returned 10 starters from last season’s MWC championship club. After the Utes defeated Colgate 3-2 on Friday, they saw BYU manage only a tie against Michigan. This scenario added to the importance of the Utes’ meeting with Michigan, a game that already carried the heavy load of NCAA Tournament implications.

The Utes came out strong, scoring in the 23rd minute on a header by junior Lauren Field off an assist from freshman Amanda Feigt. Ten minutes later, freshman Melissa Wayman headed in a corner kick off the foot of Carisse Winegar to give the Utes a lead they would never relinquish as the Utes went on to win 4-1.

After a quick goal in the second half, the Utes turned to their defense to preserve the victory, and they did just that behind the leadership of Jen Williams. Coach Rich Manning talked about the unit after the game.

“They’ve been great. You always try to build your team from the back,” he said. “Melissa’s [Wayman] a freshman, Michelle’s [Deatherage] a freshman, the goalkeepers are freshmen, but they’ve really stepped up, and I feel really secure about our backs.”

Williams later echoed his sentiments: “They’re good, with their skill level they’re not far behind at all.”

This praise was well deserved after aggressive play from the entire back line left Michigan and Colgate offenders frustrated and off balance.

Despite the emergence of the freshmen, the key to the Utes winning both games this weekend was the play of the seniors. Amber Brower and Missy Dennis both had two goals and an assist, providing nearly all of the offense against Colgate. Brower was also instrumental in controlling loose balls at midfield and setting up offensive strikes with perfectly placed balls to the corners. These efforts earned her MWC Offensive Player of the Week honors for the first time in her career.

In addition to their fine play, the seniors also provided the leadership that seemed to be lacking in the first half against Colgate.

“I’m really happy with the fact that they have ownership of this team,” Manning said about his seniors. “They want to do well, and they’re going to make sure the team functions well.”

Function well is just what they did over the weekend, but they did leave themselves room for improvement. “I don’t think we played with great rhythm,” Manning said.

A rhythm is what the Utes will try to find in practice this week before heading to College Station, Texas, to take on the No. 6 Aggies of Texas A&M.